Windows 10 Roll back to Windows 7 from 10

If you see all your email on the webpage then I think you should be able recreate your livemail.
- remove the account from the livemail client: right click in the left column on the account name and select remove
- and add it again in the livemail client
- all your mail should then be downloaded again from Cox

I really hopes this will solve it, keep my fingers crossed :pray:
Henk

Hi Trish,
I am a regular user of Windows Live Mail, and am fairly familiar with it. The first question is, which version of Live Mail are you using? There are several; since you said your computer originally was Win7 which you are trying to rollback to from WinX, it could be WLM2009, 2010, 2011, or 2012? I run WLM2011 on my Vista PC since 2012 won't run there. I was running WLM2012 on my Sony laptop (2008) with Win7 Home Premium SP1 just fine. The ugprade on that Sony laptop wiped out the WLM2012, so I am having to reinstall it. (haven't do so yet). I attempted to use the Win10 Mail (built-in E-mail app that comes with Win10; but that failed to work).

With this being said, it would be helpful to know exactly which version of WLM you are trying to repair. Given the age of your Computer, I would try WLM2011 or WLM2012 as they are the newest versions of the program. Since you are not Technically inclined, you may need to call Cox and ask them what version of WLM they have available for download. To my knowledge, Cox doesn't have this program available on their website (I ran Cox for 17 years until I moved in 2011 where I now live it's not offered).

I think what you meant was that you used your Cox Internet to visit a website where you then used your Browser program to download the WLM program. Free sites such as CNET and SOFTONIC are examples of where you could get this program from. It can also be downloaded directly from Microsoft.com. Normally, it's downloaded as a component (1 of several) via MICROSOFT LIVE ESSENTIALS. There are like 8 other programs such as Windows Live Messenger & Windows Live Gallery that come with the Live Essentials download; going into Custom lets you choose only WLM and not the others. Most home Users aren't aware of this option. The express install puts in all 9 programs including WLM. This shouldn't effect what you are doing however; just explaining it so we are on the same page about what you need to do to repair your WLM. If you had previously downloaded all 9 programs, you can just leave them there. They are all Microsoft programs and won't harm your Win7 setup.

One thing that's critical here it to tell you that prior to using Henk's suggestion of uninstalling & reinstalling WLM, he forgot to mention that you must TEMPORARILY DISABLE any anti-virus, antispyware, or personal firewall programs. I recommend you disable them for at least 1 hour; 5 hours is better. You'll need time to uninstall the program, and then locate and reinstall the downloaded WLM program BEFORE re-enabling your security software (antivirus, antispyware, & personal firewall). If you don't do this, WLM won't come out cleanly, and a reinstall will almost certainly fail since your security software will block both processes. If you don't know which of these security programs are installed or how to disable them, then I suggest you don't even bother trying to repair your WLM. Rather, you'll have to take your Computer into the local repair shop and pay a Tech to do so for you. Most of my Customers cannot handle this rather simple task, and to make matters worse, many of them have as many as 8 or 9 security programs running on their computer when there should be no more than 3 or 4. And each of them has a unique method for disabling them. This can lead to lots of frustration needless to say! o_O

Should you get to this point, or have someone who is computer literate help you by reading this post, the next step is to reinstall whichever version of WLM you originally downloaded onto your hard drive. If you cannot locate it, you'll have to re-download the WLM program using the methods described 2 paragraphs above. While your security programs are still disabled, you should be able to reinstall your WLM program onto the Win7 setup and it should work once you put your Cox incoming/outgoing server settings in (available on Cox support website) and all should work! Bear in mind, that WLM is much like Outlook in that if you did NOT backup your Contacts or E-mail history onto external media such as an external hard drive or a usb stick, your WLM will work again but you will have lost all your Contacts and E-mail history (inbox, sent, drafts, and any folders you had)!! :(

I cannot tell you how to fix this as it's much too complicated. However, you need to know that there is a setting in all versions of WLM that let's you keep a copy of all your messages on the Cox Mail server, so that if you have a catastrophic Windows failure or catastrophic hardware failure (failed internal hard drive, or your PC just caught on fire), you can simply reinstall WLM, and re-download the copies of all your Mail messages and folders. The bad news here is that WLM won't store a copy of your Contacts on the Cox Mail server, so you'll have 80% of all your E-mail less your Contacts. Most folks have less than 100 of those, so it's not a big deal to re-enter them into the newly installed WLM manually. If the WLM setting you had prior to the Win10 upgrade (the Win7 setup using whatever version of WLM you were running before), had the setting for LEAVE COPY OF MESSAGES ON SERVER unchecked, and if you went into the browser-based webmail that Cox has and deleted all the messages in your Inbox for example, those are gone; bye-bye! Sometimes, those can be recovered as long as you didn't hit the DELETE TRASH BUTTON while using the Cox webmail app. If you did that, the local copy has been lost on your restored Win7 system as well as all server copies. :(

Again, if you did that, most Home users are not aware of all these nuances, not to mention that the way WLM works (just like Outlook or Outlook Express) and that is that all of your E-mail is stored on your LOCAL PC, and if the above setting in WLM is not selected, and your PC crashes, and your WLM files are not backed up to external meida, all of your E-mail is gone! So, the primary method for WLM is the downloading of E-mails to your local PC is only as good as the backup you have made of all your WLM files; if you didn't know you needed to do this, you do now.

If I'm right, and your Win10 upgrade REMOVED the WLM app from your computer and did not restore it with the Rollback to Win7, your E-mail and Contacts are most likely all gone (unless you did the backup to external media I mention above). This is precisely what happened to my Sony laptop.

2 things you should also know, I have not yet tested the rollback from Win10 to Win7 that Saltgrass mentioned, so I don't know if it works or it does things like removing programs without your permission or not. Neither have any of my local Tech colleagues. You also need to know that you only have 30 days from the date which you installed the Win10 upgrade to perform the Rollback. You may have lost those dates, due to the Rollback you already did, so it's possible your Rollback was done after the 30 days and that's why you lost your WLM program. Don't know the answer to this, and it probably doesn't matter to you, but I need to know this at some point. Unfortunately, none of my Customers have requested Rollbacks so I just don't know if this is the case or not. From your perspective, you just want your E-mail back, right? :iee:

I would try the uninstall/reinstall Henk suggested with the added item of disabling your security programs and you may get your WLM working again, but without your E-mail history or Contacts most likely. If this is a big problem for you, I suggest you don't attempt it, but rather take it to your local repair shop Tech and pay them to do the E-mail repair for you. If you do have external media backup, make sure you bring it to the Tech along with the computer. This would cost $40-$120 US typically.

Don't hesitate to write back if you have specific questions, and to answer my questions about the WLM version you have.

Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :brew:

Last edited:
Hi Trish,

Apart from all good advice of bigbearded friend,

I tried looking up your email settingsfrom the Cox support page, but from here I could not access them.
But I think it is this page: Resources for Setting Up Cox.net Email

Some one must have setup your PC and email account for you, if it is a friend try asking him again.

I wish I was nearer

@bochane: saw these settings and I could see them, they look correct to me. the real issue is a problem with the Win10 Mail app at this point. Having a friend help will not do it in this case I believe. I have been continuing to work this problem, and have now found that the Win10 Mail does NOT work with Verizon POP server settings on either of my 2 Win10 computers (1 laptop & 1 desktop). I'm continuing to test, as the Mail app provides two different account setup options for ISP webmail accounts. I've tested both of these on the laptop, and neither works. :( I'm now working on the desktop, and have tested the first webmail POP option with the correct server settings and port numbers to no effect. As soon as I finish the 2nd option on the 2nd computer, I'll report back. I want to have this done before I report to Microsoft. Also, I cannot test this on Cox, as they are not in my locale; but 100 miles away, so we'll have to rely on other Forum members who currently have Cox as their ISP to assist us with this testing.

@Trish: as my note indicates to bochane, I'm still working on a possible solution to your problem. I did want to tell you that I reviewed my installation notes on my laptop upgrade, Win7 to Win10RTM, and I verified that Win10 does actually REMOVE any WLM (Windows Live Mail) program on it and attempts to convert it to Win10 Mail program; and so far it does not appear to work with at least Verizon (probably Cox, since you can't get it to work on your setup; but can't be sure since I don't have it here to test on). Once I complete my testing on the 2nd Win10 computer, with my Verizon ISP webmail, I can say conclusively it doesn't work with Verizon POP (can't test IMAP as Win10 Mail program doesn't seem to provide the IMAP option in Account setup).
My next step will be to reinstall WLM2012 (the newest version of WLM) onto both my Win10 computers and see if they will still work with my Verizon webmail. I suspect they will based on Win8/8.1 upgrade testing. This of course doesn't solve your problem, but I can at the very least, I will be able to tell you whether or not to try and fix your Win10 Mail with your Cox webmail, or if there is indeed a bug in the Win10 Mail program as I suspect, you would be better off not pursuing this avenue of troubleshooting, but rather apply your efforts to get WLM2012 working as your Mail client for Cox webmail on your new Win10 setup.

Best,
<<<BBJ>>>

Hi BBJ,
(As helpful and accurate as ever!)

I silently hoped for a imap or http setup, in which case all email is still available.
But I will keep out of this discussion, I am so far away….

Goodluck

Last edited:
Back