Windows 7 restrcting the copying of files

djamp1983

Hello all,
I am the equipment manager for a DJ service. I recently talked my boss into letting me build windows based systems for our DJ's to use instead of a prebuilt DJ console that would cost more than twice what my design would. One of the biggest concerns we have is the ease of one of our DJ's to simply bring an external HDD with them and copy our music library while they are at a gig. Licensing and legal use of music is a top priority to us. All of my searches online have not yielded any useful information. I need to find a way to restrict a user from copying and moving files, but still give them access to play the music files. Is there a way to do this without buying an extra security program?

Hi

You can put all the music into a folder , right click the folder, click advanced and click "encypt contents to secure data"
click apply and then applyto all files and folders

a notification should come up to create a Key straight away

Click next, keep the option as Personal info Exchange, type a password in and verify... Create a file name , i.e Music key and click next then finish

go to start
documents
you should see the key you just created.. double click to install the key onto the PC
done

IF the files go on to another pc the files will not work, they cfan still be copied but the main thing is MAKE SURE THEY DONT HAVE THE KEY INSTALLED (the file you just created)

You can reverse the procedure by doing the above steps from the start but unticking the encrypt contents box

DISCLAIMER!

Although i provide many advice on the site, I advise the following

i am not liable for any harm,loss or damage to your music or files. You take this information and use it at your own will. If you lose the key you may lose your music.. BACK UP ANY MUSIC OR FILES IN A SEPERATE LOCATION THAT IS NOT ENCRYPTED. Im not saying the information is incorrect however its free will to what you do with my help

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

kaos,
that would be perfect. just one small problem "encrypt contents to secure date" is disabled and grey'ed out. every tutorial online i've found to enable it instructs me to use software that my machine doesn't have. i'll keep looking for a way to enable this option, but in the meantime any advice would be very much appreciated.

You could restrict the usage of usb devices on the machine. If non are used under normal operation you could disable them in the bios and set a bios password. Not as good as encryption but would stop the copying of the data to usb storage devices. Theres a utility called true crypt you could use for encryption. Not used it myself but it's a free option.

unfortunately, use of USB is required. the midi controllers we use connect via usb, and us be keyboards and mice are a lot easier to find that ps/2. I really like the option of encryption. Thank you for your help.

Most latest OS hve the Efs function but you can only do it on ntfs drives so check what format it is . also the files can't be compressed or contain any compressed items
Check in my computer what type the drive is

I could write a simple script that can look for usb devices . When u plug In a udb it assigns the drive a letter . so we could look for ny new letters in ny.computer and if they exist then block full.access to the drive and when its removed then access.is allowed . Its only a idea n may take me time but it could work .although its not going to be 100% secure n there are ways around it .. just depends how good they are in it lol . I can make it run on boot if u wish n hide it away and have an option to bypass it if you want to add a usb yourself .

Let me no and ill look later when I get up our of bed lol

What version of Windows 7 are you hoping to use for this? (Different features may be missing from different versions).

kaos,
thanks for the offer, but i think i'm going to go with encrypting the volume the music files are saved on. I know two of our DJ's have the capacity to figure out a way around the encryption. but neither of them has the gumption to do it.
*edit* the volume with the music files on it is ntfs

elmer,
the computer i'm currently using has windows 7 home premium. i'm doing all of the testing for the configuration of these systems on this machine. if/when i get the green light to start building these systems, what OS do you recommend? to save money from the prebuild dj consoles they're looking at getting, i have about $500 of a buffer to keep these pc based systems cost effective.

Last edited:
from the description, that looks perfect for what i want to do. i'll test it out tonight on my machine and see how it works. thank you very much.

No Problem and good luck. I just stumbled upon it earlier and I thought hmm I know an op looking for this so here you go.

nmsuk,
i tried that application, and it worked perfectly. Now, I just have a couple kinks to work out with updating libraries on multiple systems. My boss is a little hesitant about spending the money to setup a server to house a master copy of the library. If I'm not mistaken, I can simply share the folder with all the music on one of the systems and use that machine as a file server. But, I've got some time before I have to get that worked out since we only have one of these system right now.

I'm gonna say "Glad you got sorted" even though not quite there. I'm bookmarking this thread for the next person, probably in twenty years time, who wants to do something as obscure as this, and I can think "Aah, I heard of that somewhere!!!" We (that's the Royal We, I mean NmsUK) likes sorting the obscure ones out.

While I'm here, as you'ze into music, Can I put a request in for AgaDoo by Black Lace? But before 10:15pm please as we've got a taxi booked! :)

Back
Top Bottom