Windows 10 Right click menu from the start button not working?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way that build 10074 is working.
I haven't had issues with my sound and Cortana seems to be working pretty reliably.

Some things don't load at startup or coming out of sleep mode some time.

But there is one thing that's not, and that's the right click menu from the start button, and many items on the start menu don't do anything when I click on them.

For example Skype and Windows Media Player will not open from the start menu.

I've looked for a fix, but haven't found anything online.
I tried the Powershell command for people who can't get the Start Menu to open, but I get the error about app package not being a legitimate command.

Note that the start menu opens, I can edit it, I can add things to it, but once there they don't work.

Anyone have any idea how to get the start menu items and context menu to work?
I also want to say that this is't universal, I can open the mail app from the start menu with no problem.

All of the apps can be opened from the search window with no problems, it's like the start menu links aren't connected to anything.

Mike

Last edited:
First. Have a look here, Mike, and see if the folders have been accidentally erased.
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX. They should look like this:

Capture.PNG

Hi

Yes, I have all those folders, all dated 4/24/2015 11:37 PM.

In Group 3, the links that are on the right click dropdown menu, none of the links work.
If I navigate to the location the link points to, they open from there fine.

One thing that's a little weird is that the link named Device Manager actually points to the Control Panel. "%windir%\system32\control.exe /name Microsoft.DeviceManager"

But all the links that I checked are dead, even if they point to the correct location.

This isn't a big deal, as far as usefulness goes, I can open all the stuff from other locations but I wonder why they don't work from the links?

Mike

Last edited:
Back