Windows 7 Router constant crashes

gmartins9

Hello all.

Im having this problem. My router is constantly crashing every 5-10 minutes and sometimes cant last for 45 minutes or maybe more. I know that because my music stream is constantly stopping and it also makes me disconnects from online games.
I am sure it cannot be software problems because I have reformated my computer and these disconnects only happen when my router is plugged.If you need further information, please tell me.
Thanks!

PS: These disconnects are sometimes very fast as if as soon as music stream stops, I'll go right ahead to click the play button and it will work right away, though not all the times because sometimes there are longer disconnects BUT, it is never long enough to show the " No Signal/Internet" icon, the one with the red cross. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate.

My router is constantly crashing
From the description you give I suspect you mean that you are losing your connection between your pc and the internet rather than the router itself crashing. It does not sound like you are losing your connection - just that data is not being supplied at a fast enough rate to keep up with the demands of your player or game. Both of the circumstances you describe (music streaming and online gaming) are very bandwidth intensive - they require a constant data stream and it may well be that your connection speed is inadequate, especially if you ever run both connections at the same time. Might also be worth trying reducing the bit rate of you music player so it reduces demand on your data transmission rate.

What happens is that I have tried running this online gaming without router and it works just fine. I also tried running it with the router but everything else was off, including windows firewall and no anti-virus running. I am sure it must be the with the router because my brother's computer also gets disconnected from this online game, yet his connection is wireless.

What happens is that I have tried running this online gaming without router
So your are running a separate modem and router? What connection are you making to your router and at what speed?

I have got the modem and then I got a router plugged into my modem. Then in my router I have got a cable connection ( with a cable RJ-45 yellow, not sure if that matters tho)and then my brother and my dad use both wireless connections to the router.
The type of connection im making is the one called "Dynamic Ip" and im not at what speed, but most of the times I got betweens 700mbps and 1.2mbps, as I often download 600 mb files and it takes me around 7-10 minutes.

With no problems on wireless connections I'd look at two aspects of a hardwired connection with dynamic IP allocation. First check that the "lease" for the ip address from the router is for a long period of time or even better, unlimited. Secondly, try a replacement ethernet cable - it may have a bad connection.

How do I check the lease for ip adress period?
And with the replacing the ethernet cable, you mean the one that connects the modem to the router or the one that connects the router to my computer? Because I stated before I get these disconnects in my computer and in my brothers, though I am not sure my dad get's them but im sure he does, but I have never tried to check that in his computer.

Because I stated before I get these disconnects in my computer and in my brothers
Sorry - I'd misread that.

IP addresses are allocated by your router for a period of time called a lease - this can be very short or very long - after that time they have to be renewed and this could cause a short break in your connection. To check how long these leases are you need to log on to your router and check the lease time in your DHCP allocation. Exactly how you do this will vary from one router to another. Whatever router it is will require you to enter its IP address into the address bar of your browser and you should look at your router manual to take it from there.

If you try just yourself connected both with and without the router and you still find the problem occurs only when using the router then I cannot offer any other suggestions - I'm not aware of anything in the routing process which would cause the problem - all connections between your pc and your router are many times faster than the connection between your modem and the internet so it cannot be a bandwidth problem. Favourite candidate for the cause is still the internet connection data rate so I would make certain that the problem never occurs when the router is taken out.

Yes the crashes/disconnects stop when I connect my computer only to my modem. How can I check my internet connection data rate and how can I make it higher ?

If you are certain that the problem disappears when you connect directly to the modem then it is unlikely to be a problem wit the data rate. It would seem to indicate a problem with the router but if it is occurring with both wired and wireless connections and there is no problem with IP address leasing then I am out of ideas as to what might be causing it. If you can get you hands on another router to try it might help - if only to either confirm or eliminate router as the cause of the problem.

Well the problem is that this router cost me about 45€, which should be like 60 $, Im not sure. If it was for me, I would have bought another router a long time ago, but this one cost alot of money. I have tried to replace the cable that connect the modem into the router and it didnt fix it :S

Back