Windows 7 Router issues.

I have 2 pcs (1 xp, and the other win 7 64 bit) hardwired into 2 of the 4 ports on the back of my Linksys WRT54G router. Everytime I log onto the Windows 7 pc, it knocks my wireless out. A simple reboot fixes the issue but this is getting old quick. My theory is that maybe 7 is searching for IP version 6, thus knocking out my wifi. Anybody else seeing this or are these just hints that my trusty blue box is ready to call it quits?
any thoughts?

I've got the same router and have experienced the same situation. I've got a desktop hardwired and a laptop on wifi. Right now I have the desktop running XP Pro and the laptop on Win7 64. Everything is working OK after rebooting the router. When I had the desktop on Win7 64 and the laptop on Vista, I had to reboot the router for the laptop to get back on the network.

This evening I will boot the desktop to Win7 and with the laptop on Win7 see if the router craps out again. On my router it has only been the wifi that seems to get hosed.

Any theories as to why?

As with you, its just the wireless that drops ...but after a reboot of the router it's fine. It IS Win 7 thats knocking it off.
I have 2 vista laptops and 1 xp laptop that use the wireless. These are all fine when I use the XP desktop I have hardwired into one of the ports. The wireless only drops when I boot up the Win 7 desktop I also have hardwired in.

Let me know your results
thanks

Well, tonight I booted the desktop to Win7 and everything is working fine. Laptop and desktop, both running Win7 64 are accessing the router without issue.

Maybe the initial couple of resets got the router up to speed. Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, I know.

When the desktop only was Win7 and laptop Vista I had to reset the router. When I set the laptop up on Win7 and the desktop was Win7 everything worked at first then I lost the router. Reset it, booted desktop to XP, leaving laptop Win7 and everything is working normally since.

wrt54g and windows 7 beta 1

I also have a linksys wrt54g version 8 with the orginal firmware router and have the same error it would seem. I notice that after a few hours of wireless usage that my signal strength drops to one bar and then if you reboot no wireless connection will work until the router is rebooted.

I think I may have fixed the issue: on both the wireless and wired connection I unchecked the IPv6 protocol. I streamed overnight www.wgow.com fm side and it is still working. I will cruiz the net and see if it still works....

Last edited:
Mine is version 6. When I got up this morning I had to reboot to get Wi-fi back. I don't think V6 has the IP6 option, I'll check and if it does, try disabling. Really is a strange issue.

I have no idea if this would make any difference (I don't use my wireless often), but might it be worthwhile to try installing DD-WRT/Tomato/etc on the Linksys router? I've noticed improved general network stability since loading custom firmware onto my router.

do you have the same problem Ryah?

Does tomato have a disable for ip v6?...the reason for asking is because the ip v6 interference with wireless is just a theory, plus Vista had ip v6 capabilities but did not have this same problem with this specific router. so what changed in 7 network structure or sequence that is causing this scenario. what I'm looking for is to either prove or disprove...thanks in advance

Does tomato have a disable for ip v6?...the reason for asking is because the ip v6 interference with wireless is just a theory, plus Vista had ip v6 capabilities but did not have this same problem with this specific router. so what changed in 7 network structure or sequence that is causing this scenario. what I'm looking for is to either prove or disprove...thanks in advance

well ipv6 only came out in december 2008 so its too new... i disabled it on both the wired and wireless after a fresh install. I also think that as long as we do not turn on and remove the battery and cmos battery then we can not get any virus or hacking done to out computers. the best defense is not to use a pc at all.

I have disabled IPv6 on the network card from within Win7. Let's see if that makes a difference. There were a mess of IPv6 errors in Event Viewer.

When Vista came out,

the default protocol was ip6 which caused grief on ip4 based networks. In stating that, 7 should recognize the network and adapt. Logically, it would also screw up the rest of the router, not just one function. Today, tryed booting up 1 vista and 1 xp laptop, and 1 xp desktop....they all connected. Then booted up 7 and they remained connected. Then shut them all down.
Then I booted 7 first and it killed the wireless capability...the the router still functioned on the desktop (because it was hardwired)....I'm still scratching the skull!

It does seem to be IPv6 which is the problem. After disabling IPv6 I have not had a problem with Wi-fi. This may well be fixed when Win7 goes Gold. As for now it's the type of issue you have beta's for.

It does seem to be IPv6 which is the problem. After disabling IPv6 I have not had a problem with Wi-fi. This may well be fixed when Win7 goes Gold. As for now it's the type of issue you have beta's for.

How can I disable de IPv6? I have a router D-Lin, not wireless, but I'm getting very difficulty's to access to the pages of the configuration on the router.

It's a D-Link DSL-524T 4-Port ADSL 2+ Router.

I'm getting all the time that the DHCP don't give an address to the IPv6, something like that, in my event viewer I can see that.

Is this protocol needed?

You can disable IPv6 on your network card from within Win7. That's what I did and thus far I have not had any further router issues. W7 loads IPv4 and IPv6 by default. With older routers it seems the IPv6 is causing issues.

I've got tomato firmware and after installing W7 had no any problems. Wireless connection, 2 laptops, 1 desktop on LAN, works with static IP and DHCP without any errors on any machine.

so maybe tomato is the fix?

Same Wireless Issue with W54RTG router and Windows 7.

I'm having the same issue with the Linksys W54RTG router. I keep losing my wireless connectivity every morning. The wierd things is that I was using a laptop with a wireless modem till about 2:00am in the morning. But, at 7:00am, there was no wireless signal to be found.

Additionally, whenever this happens, I can no longer get into the router maintance screens through the local gateway ip address (192.168.1.1). I have to power on an off my router in order to get the wireless connectivity back up and be able to get back into the router maintenance screens.

I have the W54RTG version 6 with the latest firmware installed.

My main PC has Windows 7 (64-bit) on it. My wireless devices include a laptop with XP, another laptop with Vista, an XBOX 360, and a couple of TIVO wireless adapters.

I agree. I have a wrt54g v3 with ddwrt v24-sp1. I was having problems at random. with specific web sites and remote desktop connection. The firmware didn't help but disabling the ipv6 did. If it pops up again I'll post.

Back