Windows 7 RPC Over HTTP

ganeshvembu

any one get this working?
i am using a Windows 7 Beta with Outlook 2007 and connecting to a SBS 2003 server
RPC Over http works great on Vista but not on windows 7
i have tried with no Anti virus installed and firewall turned off
outlook claims it cant establish a connection with the exchange server
any help would be appreciate
thanks

I am running Win7 with Outlook 2007 and using RPC over HTTP with no problems. My server is a regular Windows 2003 server with Exchange, however.

RPC HTTP issue with outlook

I cannot connect with RPC over HTTP - tried this on two separate workstations - no issues on Vista.
wondering if it's a socket issue with RPC.

I tried changing the RPC binding order but it didn't matter.

FIXED IT

For those of you who may be running the M3 build of Windows 7 and using either hosted Exchange or accessing a corporate Exchange environment via Outlook Anywhere (nee RPC over HTTPS) there is an issue you may run into.
When you try to open Outlook you are prompted for credentials. With most hosted Exchange providers you use your email address as the username. If you do this on Windows 7 (M3) I have found that you are repeatedly prompted for your credentials but no matter how carefully and correctly you type your password it just keeps prompting you.
If you run into this issue try entering you username in the DOMAIN\Username format instead of your email address. I don't know why this works, but I know it does for at least two Hosted Exchange providers. Contact your hosted provider if you are not sure what the domain name is.

Last edited:
works for me as well. netplexity/shortname
Just wish I could get it to "stick" instead of having to enter my complete UID and PW each time - whereas before all I had to do was type the password when outlook starts. Any ideas on this?

Just wish I could get it to "stick" instead of having to enter my complete UID and PW each time - whereas before all I had to do was type the password when outlook starts. Any ideas on this?

Hi Talben, Outlook does store my uid each time and I only have to enter the password. I installed Windows 7 as an upgrade and Outlook was already configured. Did you perform a clean install? I have run into this problem before on earlier OS's I just can't remember what was causing it and even still could just simply be a windows 7 bug. I did have the same problem as everyone else, outlook would not authenticate until i used the domain/uid but it does store it, at least for me.

Did you try recreating the mail profile?

John

Using Outlook 07, hosted exchange 2007 Win 7. Upgraded from Vista Ultimate.

Last edited:
Hi Talben, Outlook does store my uid each time and I only have to enter the password. I installed Windows 7 as an upgrade and Outlook was already configured. Did you perform a clean install? I have run into this problem before on earlier OS's I just can't remember what was causing it and even still could just simply be a windows 7 bug. I did have the same problem as everyone else, outlook would not authenticate until i used the domain/uid but it does store it, at least for me.

John

I have it running on two PCs - one was clean - the other was an upgrade... and it's the same on each - specifically keeps my UID - but drops the domain\ from the field - so I have to type the domain\ and then password each time.
What version of exchange is your company running? Perhaps it's on their end... in my case - my end...

John

I have it running on two PCs - one was clean - the other was an upgrade... and it's the same on each - specifically keeps my UID - but drops the domain\ from the field - so I have to type the domain\ and then password each time.
What version of exchange is your company running? Perhaps it's on their end... in my case - my end...

Last edited:

I will find out and let you know. Are you using autodiscovery for setup?

Nope... manual setup. My employer's IT department (geniuses) don't support it - or OMA or anything more exciting than OWA...
Wondering if there's an autologin for outlook that I could use to populate the fields. Just an inconvenience - not a functionality issue - and glad that once I type it in, it all works.

when you enter your username during setup of the account profile are you including the domain\username?

under the security tab do you have "always prompt for login credentials" checked? doesn't seem to make a difference when i tested anyway. you may want to check it, apply changes and uncheck, apply the changes then close outlook and check to make sure the process isn't running after closing.

launch and see what happens.

Last edited:
Wasn't checked... does not make a difference either way. Kereboros or NTLM settings don't matter either...
Just don't know why outlook only remembers the UID portion and always drops the domain.com\ portion

Here is the server version: 8.1 build 240.6

I am going to setup another copy of outlook under a different profile tomorrow without using autodiscovery. I will try and see if I can replicate the issue and let you know.

Thanks... I couldn't find anything on line (3rd party app) to populate the outlook login either... so, manual mode...
I think it has to be a forms based authentication issue from the exchange server...

Windows 7 RC

I have the same problem when I installed Windows 7 Beta but overcame this by logging on using the DOMAIN\username and this worked well. I have since installed Windows 7 RC on my latop with Office 2007 Service Pack 2 now the connection to my exchange no longer connects.

I have monitored the firewall, and have run Netmon and cannot see any failures or packets being dropped. It appears that either Windows 7 RC has further changes under the hood.

Anyway if anyone else has installed RC and overcome the connection to Microsoft Exchnange using HTTP over RPC it would be greatly appreciated.

Exchange Server, Outlook 2007 RPC/HTTP - working

I use the following syntax: domain.com\username - in my case I have to spell out the following "internal.ournetname.com\myname" - and I've noticed that I have to MANUALLY type it in EVERY TIME for it to work (the of course, password in the second line)

There was a period that no matter what, it seemed to fail - but I noticed that if I opened up an OWA session first, I could then get into outlook...

Good luck

I have the same problem when I installed Windows 7 Beta but overcame this by logging on using the DOMAIN\username and this worked well. I have since installed Windows 7 RC on my latop with Office 2007 Service Pack 2 now the connection to my exchange no longer connects.

I have monitored the firewall, and have run Netmon and cannot see any failures or packets being dropped. It appears that either Windows 7 RC has further changes under the hood.

Anyway if anyone else has installed RC and overcome the connection to Microsoft Exchnange using HTTP over RPC it would be greatly appreciated.

Solution (worked for me)

Solution:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\RPC]
"EnableRPCTunnelingUI"=dword:00000000

Change the default, dword:00000001, to dword:00000000

Back