Windows 7 Safest way to recover WIN Vista?

thorsonb

I got a friend who apparently downloaded a Virus on his computer, and now his computer wont load past th BIOS /POST (power on system test) screen…..
I was thinking… just get a Live Linux/Ubuntu CD, using that and retrieve whatever important he has saved on his HDD… and then re-install WIN_Vista

I’m not sure if he has his OS on a separate partition, and data (files/documents/videos/music) on a separate partition.

Any suggestions on how I should go about doing this?

Since I’m not an expert, I’m sure my friend would be happy enough to know that his files were retrieved… he should care less about his system settings / configurations

Or maybe there is a LIVE Windows Vista CD? That one can make use of?? And maybe I try get a “System Restore Point” ??

P.s. this person doesn’t have the Installation discs for Vista, it came pre installed with the computer (second hand)…

Is this a laptop?

If it were a desktop, I might get a new hard drive, remove the old one until Vista was installed, then use the old one as a slave. I suppose the possibility of spreading a virus to the new drive might have to be considered.

Do you see anything on the post screen that mentions the hard drive and whether it is being seen normally? If not, you should be able to get into the bios setup to check it there.

Back
Top Bottom