Saved by EaseUS TODO backup.

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by MikeHawthorne, Aug 15, 2016.

1. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

Today my computer suddenly froze up, I was in the process of deleting some files in file manager, not anything unusual at all.

Unfortunately it wouldn't respond to Crtl, Alt, Delete, so after trying everything I could I did a hard shutdown.

When it rebooted it said that the boot sector was missing or corrupt.

Luckily I had made a new backup yesterday.

I put in my Boot disk, and started the process, then went to make coffee, and put out the bird seed etc.

When I came back it was all done and back up and running.

This is the first time I've had to do a recovery since I installed my SSD to be my C:\ drive.

It was really fast, I don't know how long, because I don't know when it finished but I didn't expect it to be done when I came back.

The down side is that a video that I had finished and saved to the desktop disappeared and the work files are back to where they were when I did the backup, my fault for saving them to C:\.

I thought I had the computer straightened out after the Anniversary update but I haven't had that happen for a long time.

I may have to break down and do a clean install, tomorrow I'll download the Anniversary install file and create a DVD so that I'm prepared.

I would like avoid doing it until I get a new computer at the end of he year but I may not have the choice.

At least my other problems seem to have gone as long as I don't install Chrome.

Mike

#1 MikeHawthorne, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    ussnorway likes this.
  2. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

like a pro... well done.

3. Kunkzi

Kunkzi New Member

Glad you saved yourself. It is always good to make a backup.

4. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

I want to stress the one thing I did wrong here too!

I was making a short anti Trump video and because it was just a casual thing instead of creating a folder for it on my D:\, E:\ or F:\ drives I just saved it in a folder on my desktop.

So when my computer crashed and I restored my C:\ drive I lost all the work I did from the time I made the backup until I restored it.

That's why you should never put you work or anything you can't afford to lose on your C:\ drive, especially if you seldom make backups.

I was lucky that I just by chance I made a back up the day before it crashed.

Mike

5. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

thats what crashed your system... wow just imagine what he will do to a country :oops:

6. helpifIcan

helpifIcan Extraordinary Member

Make it better!

7. RichM

RichM Active Member

So many who will never read this thread could benefit from how close Mike was to losing everything
    yet because he has a backup image file there never really was any danger. Whatever you do not backup has to be something you just don't care about as we often say....