Windows 7 Screen goes black at the log on screen...

Jacob Collstrup

Heya,

I recently had this problem:
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/42015-problem-stadnby-mode-graphic-driver.html

Its the exact same problem. The screen's power button blinks. I unplugged the computer and tested all connections and dedusted all fans.

Everything works ok in safe mode. But I can't trust my computer to start up correct in normal mode. Does anyone have an idea of whats wrong with it? Any test I can do to shed light on the problem?

Best regards,

Jacob Collstrup

Idle Laptop?

If it isn't that, See Below. You might try your video card drivers for a re-install or replacement for new.

Attachments

• Hibernate or Standby Mode Laptop.JPG
    Hibernate or Standby Mode Laptop.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 356
Does the black screen occur during a normal cold boot, during a restart, resuming from sleep or hibernation?

A black screen may indicate the video signal is being misdirected. If you can open your system you might make sure the video card is seated fully.

Have you updated the video drivers?

How do you have the video connected to the monitor and what type of monitor is it?

Things that work in safe mode and not normal mode will usually be one of the device drivers, since many are not started. Since it uses basic video, it could very well be the situation.

Heya,

I'm sorry for all the lacking system info, I guess I was a bit frustrated when I typed it. Its my stationary machine this problem occurs on.

Hardware:
Intel Core2 Duo E4400 @2.3GHz (Overclocked a little)
Inno3d Geforce 8800GTS
MSI P35 Neo Combo Mainboard
4GB Kingston RAM (I think its Kingston)
ViewSonic VX922 Screen

Yesterday when dedusting and checking all cables it didn't come to life at once though. After a failed boot (blinking screen, from startup this time), the computer came to life. Today when turning it one the same happened. I rebooted using reset. Right now its on and running 'windows start repairs'. I'm not sure that'll help anything.

Up untill yesterday safe mode has been working fine. But recently the screen just starts blinking.

Whether it starts from coldboots, restarts or resuming from sleep/hibernation I'm not sure. Most mornings the past week it booted up fine after having been turned off for a night. I avoided restarts, since the problem seems to occur there. In the start the problem seemed to be some sort of sleep/hibernation related problem, so I disabled all that. Now I'd have to say that the problem occurs at coldboot, restart and resuming from sleep/hibernation.

I tested if the videocard was properly seated. It seems to be. I checked wirings, also ok.

I updated the video drivers last week, trying to combat this problem. And then windows wanted to update video drivers too. I found no way of preventing it from that.

I'm not using a vga plug, but that digital one. I have no clue what its name is. It kinda looks like this +::::::
Best regards,

Jacob Collstrup

Last edited:
sweep the graphics driver then re-install..

if that does not help do a 7 repair install from CD. you box has stability problems maybe you got a hardware issue. check temperatures (CPU, GPU) if high clean out fans/airways..you know the drill!

Just updated the video drivers...no luck. Safe mode works like a charm. I can remove the drivers there and then windows boots up normally just fine. As soon as I've loaded a 'real' driver for the computer, I'm greeted with a black screen for my efforts.

Best regards,

Jacob Collstrup

the point is not the update but the clean wipe of the driver - then reinstall!
there is driver sweeper as free download!

just do that to remove all debris from older drivers

I'm not sure I'm explaining right, then. We seem be talking besides each other...

I went to device manager in safe mode. Right clicked the video adapter and uninstalled it. I then rebooted the computer into normal mode. Which works at this point. I download a new driver from Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies and install that.

Windows manages to auomaticly install something when I reboot from safemode. Could that be the cause of trouble? A conflict between a driver windows provides and the nvidia one?

If so, how do I prevent windows from automaticly installing a driver?

Best regards,

Jacob Collstrup

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm explaining right, then. We seem be talking besides each other...

I went to device manager in safe mode. Right clicked the video adapter and uninstalled it. I then rebooted the computer into normal mode. Which works at this point. I download a new driver from Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies and install that.

afraid that is not good enough :)
uninstall NV drivers via add/remove programs (CP)
then run sweeper
then install drivers again

Windows manages to auomaticly install something when I reboot from safemode. Could that be the cause of trouble? A conflict between a driver windows provides and the nvidia one?

If so, how do I prevent windows from automaticly installing a driver?

you can boot into safe mode without network support - no internet then, no update possible. however, I don't think win-update is a problem.

usually repair install keeps all files in place - maybe your desktop theme may be altered but that's it. however to be on the safe side have a work file backup handy.

okay, late here... I am off

There is an option in the Device Manager when you roll back or uninstall the driver to uninstall all instances of the driver. It will ask and if you allow, it will wipe whatever was used before. Just uninstalling the device may not give you that option, not sure. The driver sweeper might do a better job, but I have never used it.

To keep Windows from installing Hardware (optional) drivers, you can set Windows update to ask you about installing the updates. You can separate them by unchecking the Recommended updates box. You should be able to set it up so you can check prior to any updates being installed. If you do not want it installed, hide it.

Do you have any drivers for your monitor? I have an LG and it comes with drivers for different inputs. i.e. digital, analog, hdmi. Yours would be digital if you have any.

Last edited:
Back