Windows 7 Screen goes black upon startup of 7

tigel

I completed the first phase of the install, but when the computer boots up into 7 to complete it, my screen goes into Recommand Mode due to the input resolution being too high but then just goes black. Is there a way to fix this? I am running a 7600GT.

Any help is appreciated!

I remember someone else having this problem. What he did to solve it was to reinstall windows 7 and it worked for him the second time.

FIx Blank screen.

I have found a why to get it too work properly without having to reinstall a second time.

After the initial startup where it tells you it is setting up the desktop the screen goes black and starts to blink madly I have found that by hitting ctrl-alt-del then telling it to restart will help to fix this. One the second start up after entering you password and it loads up it may go black and blinky again what you need to do is and i know this sounds kinda untechnical but start right clicking the screen and it should load up for you no problem after that load your new drivers and your golden.

I got the same problem - after the second reboot during installation my screen went black - i waited for 20 minutes, nothing happened. After pressing reset, it said, that the installation was corrupted and i needed to reinstall windows. I installed Windows again, but it did not work for me.

But i found the solution: I have a geforce 8800gt and on the first dvi-connector my 22" dvi screen is plugged in, and on the second one an old 17" with a dvi to vga adapter. When i UNPLUGGED the second screen, i could install windows se7en without problems. AFTER the installation i plugged the second monitor in again and rebooted, windows recognized it automatically and set the resolution right for both screens.

i hope this could help

Last edited:
unplug any dvi connection to tv will working with you
i was have same problem when i i unplug dvi to my lcd worked good

I'm having the same issue. Goes to black screen on the completing installation screen. I only have 1 22" LCD monitor. I have an 8800GT video card. Going straight to the card with a DVI cable. Nothing is plugged in on the second port. I'm out of ideas, please help.

Thanks

I dont have anything hooked up to my 7600GT other than my one LCD monitor. I did have it in SLI mode with another 7400GT when i tried installing, but since then I have removed it, but haven't gotten around to trying to reinstall. I'm thinking that may be the problem after hearing all the other comments about 7 not displaying when any extra screens are hooked up, maybe its the same for extra video cards?

I dont have anything hooked up to my 7600GT other than my one LCD monitor. I did have it in SLI mode with another 7400GT when i tried installing, but since then I have removed it, but haven't gotten around to trying to reinstall. I'm thinking that may be the problem after hearing all the other comments about 7 not displaying when any extra screens are hooked up, maybe its the same for extra video cards?

Sounds reasonable. Unfortunately, that still doesn't help me with my installation. Only one video card here. This is really troubling me.

Looks like the problem is more with the monitor now. I hooked the computer up to an hdtv figuring i could reduce the resolution but when i started up it was already in 1280x1024... i guess it had already detected the settings from when i installed. So with that i hooked it back up to my lcd but it still didn't work. I went back and tried changing the refresh rate to something more in the middle of my monitor's range, but still no success. i want my 7 :(

Yes, my 7600GT has one dvi slot and one vga slot. The monitor and the tv both only have a vga slot.

edit: The monitor is a Princeton VL1716 from 2004. 1280x1024 with a refresh rate of 60-75hertz

But i found the solution: I have a geforce 8800gt and on the first dvi-connector my 22" dvi screen is plugged in, and on the second one an old 17" with a dvi to vga adapter. When i UNPLUGGED the second screen, i could install windows se7en without problems.

Did you have the 17" screen turned on? I had the same issue using a 46" LCD TV and forgetting I had an old 17" monitor plugged in as a secondary display. I reinstalled 3 times before I thought to turn on the 17" monitor which it turned out was set to be the primary display.

black screen - solution for me

I successfully installed win7 + the hauppage 1800 TV decoder on one of my machines. This was a test install to see if it would work at all in ideal conditions ( my fastest machine, a generic monitor) and everything went fine. One note on that - while win7 recognized the card, it didn't install correctly until I actually downloaded and installed the drivers from the Hauppage website. So I then installed on my target machine which I intend to park beside my TV. Again, all went fine until I plugged it into the TV. No picture from the RGB output to the TV after the startup screen. Dead. I browsed this forum and others to find many others with this problem. I got a clue from one. Try changing the refresh rate. So with a generic monitor next to the TV, I started cycling through different refresh rates using the monitor , and trying them on the TV. The monitor never had any trouble with any rate I picked, and eventuallly... I found a setting that worked on the TV, at 1024x768 @ 70Hz. For some reason win7 had failed to provide my TV with an acceptable screen resolution/refresh rate combination, and the TV wasn't much help, just saying 'No Signal'. Anyway, thanks to this forum, I am sorted!

Black Screen after startup

Been playing with this all day. I have an a64-6000 system with a 8800GT vid card. Works fine in vista and xp. when I fire up Windows 7 the screen goes black right after the startup logo dissappears. After a couple of seconds the monitor goes into power save.

If I uninstall the drivers using safe mode, and select delete drivers I can do a normal boot. Unfortunately, the system puts the drivers right back on. I tried updating at that point to the latest NVidia drivers and the problem is the same.

I installed an Nvidia 7100gs that has a dvi and an analog port. I am using an older dell 19" monitor that only has analog. I use a dvi-analog adapter that has always worked just fine. I discovered that if I take the adapter off and use the analog port on the 7100gs it works. If I put the adapter back on and use the dvi port I get the black screen.

Unfortunately, my 8100GT only has DVI ports, which work just fine with the adapter in both Vista and XP. Very strange...

I found the solution to this one. Uninstalled the nvidia windows 7 drivers and installed the latest vista drivers. works great now.

Last edited:
Back