Windows 7 Screen on/with lid movement

maybe

My wife's laptop is a Lenovo ideapad z570. She uses it primarily as a desktop because the lid hinge is loose. So she just props the lid against some books and is quite content. Hates switching computers.

But recently it developed another problem. The screen blanks out in certain positions of lid opening. Moving the lid a little makes the image come back.

Could this be some loose contact I could fix or is the screen going?

I've replaced laptop screens before but can't imagine where a loose contact could exist that would be affected by hinge position. If it involves soldering, I wouldn't be able to do it.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Doing a search showed that this is a regular issue with this design and i did find a video on how to replace the screen which will also show you how to access the hinges too.

Thanks kemical. I know how to replace the screen. That's not the problem.

What I don't know is why and how the screen going on and off is connected to the position of the laptop lid. Can't see the mechanism for that.

Use the Power Supply option and select "no action" for what closing the lid will do. Hope it helps.

What I don't know is why and how the screen going on and off is connected to the position of the laptop lid.

Most laptops have a sensor in the lid to detect when it is shut... I don't own any Lenovo products but my Asus laptop lid bypasses the power setting of Windows and is controled in the bios.
Have you had a play about in the bios... perhaps reset it to default?

Thanks everyone. I'll take it apart (when my wife lets me.....) and see what I find.

I don't think it's the sensor because the screen flicks on or off depending on the degree of opening. Say the lid is opened to 90 degrees and the screen is blank, moving the lid a few degrees either way makes the image appear. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere which motion of the lid moves slightly to make it connect better.

I don't think it's the sensor because the screen flicks on or off depending on the degree of opening. Say the lid is opened to 90 degrees and the screen is blank, moving the lid a few degrees either way makes the image appear. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere which motion of the lid moves slightly to make it connect better.
Agreed.

Back