Windows 7 Screen resolution, text size issue

upandatom

Hi, I just installed Win7, I have a 22" widescreen monitor, the native resolution is 1680x1050, which makes things WAY too small to comfortably use the computer.

When I try reducing the resolution, everything, especially text, gets quite blurry. My video card is a GeForce 8500GT and the drivers are current.

I tried increasing the text size, which helps, but Win7 gives three options, small-100%, medium-125%, and large-150%.

The medium setting is still a touch too small, and the large is too big (why am I suddenly reminded of porridge that's too hot or too cold?).

Is there a way to either crispen up the text at a lower resolution, or alter the text size setting to something near 140% instead?

Thanks for the help!!

Go to Appearance > Display.
On the left of the screen you will se 'Set Custom Text Size Display'.
Enjoy.

Can't believe I didn't see that, thank you! Unfortunately though, it doesn't have the desired effect.

The small, medium, and large options seem to apply to the entire screen, whereas the text size setting only changes the text.

The search continues!

i am not absolutely clear (no pun intended) as to which aspect you wish to alter but, if it is the global text only, at the lower resolution, have you tried this.
Right click screen - Personalize.
Display (Bottom left)
Adjust clear type text.

I went through the ClearType settings you've mentioned but they didn't help very much. Ideally what I'm striving for is to have a clear display at a resolution around 1280x800, but when I select that resolution everything gets blurry.

As an alternative to this, I stuck with the native resolution (1680x1050) but tried the magnification setting, but it really is distracting when surfing, some elements of some sites are magnified, some aren't, etc.

The most frustrating part is that I have the same monitor and video card as I did with Vista, and I didn't have any of these issues!

I was thinking the same thing. Under Vista, my monitor driver was one specifically for my Dell monitor. I went to the Dell website and downloaded the Win7 driver, tried updating it and Win7 says the Generic PnP monitor driver from 2006 is up to date! In Vista I had several refersh rates (70 and 75 Hertz), but with the generic driver I can only choose 59 or 60 Hertz.

I've been tinkering with the 'custom text size display' slider bar, and getting some strange results. If you select the 150% option and look at your screen, then select a custom size of 149%, the difference between the two is very large, much more than 1%! If I could find a way to make that more accurate I'd probably be able to solve this thing!

Does anyone else have the same results?

Back
Top Bottom