Windows 10 After upgrade, screen resolution, icons messed up

Odos270

OK, I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Here's where the fun begins. If I pull an icon to the edge of the screen, a third of it goes off screen. The Taskbar is 2/3 off the screen. If I go full screen with my browser (Firefox) it too blows off the screen. The Menu Bar is off screen. The minimize button, maximize button and the close button all go off screen.

I changed my screen resolution from 1920x1024 to 1280x720 and it had no effect. This really torques me off because I was forced to upgrade. I unregistered and uninstalled the updates that pertained to 10. It didn't matter. On a reboot, 10 installed.

I was wanting to wait a few more months to upgrade. I wanted to see what problems others had and how they were solved. I guess Microsoft didn't care about what I wanted.

BTW, I did update the driver for my video card. That didn't help. I uninstalled the video card and rebooted, didn't help. There isn't an option to roll the driver back (grayed out).

Also, I can't do a screen shot. Why? Because the screen shot shows the desktop as it's supposed to be, not how it is right now.

Could you tell us a bit more? What type of video card and monitor? Analog or Digital? What settings are you using now (see properties of Adapter, it is something like 1280 x 1024, true colors, 60 Hertz)

Added:
My first guess is a wrong fps (Frames per second, the 60 in the example above)

Last edited:
Hi

See if this has any relevance to what you are seeing.

DPI Scaling Level for Displays - Change in Windows 10

I know the whole scaling thing works different in Windows 10 some how.
I always set my custom size to 135% until Windows 10 but it just comes out wrong when I try and do that now.

If you need to access the part of the screen that you can't see, try logging in, in safe mode and see if the display looks normal, and gives you access to the rest of the screen and you can make your changes there.

Windows Key +R

Type msconfig say OK

Set it to Safe Boot and restart.

Mike

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, should've included system info.

Computer: HP h8 envy 1534
CPU: AMD FX-6200 (3.8GHz)
Motherboard: M3970AM-HP (Angelica2) (Gigabyte)
Memory: 10GB DDR3
Graphics Card: Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570

Also, I'm using a flat panel TV (32" 720P) as my monitor. Worked fine with 8.1, I'm plugged into the graphics card (TV to card) using an HDMI cable.

As for refresh rates, there are 2 choices. 60 Hertz or 30 Hertz. It was at 60 but has now changed (not by me) to 30.

Could you try using your computer with an other monitor, without your flat panel?
And second test, could you try setting your flat panel back to 60 Hertz? I don't have your system parts,so I am not sure where to do this, but the display adapter should be a good starting point: Rightclick My Computer , almost on top on the left side you will find Devices, click on it, select Video adapters, select your device, and go on with properties; but there may be a directer way by rightclicking on the desktop background......

Some of the problem may relate to running the TV as a monitor, I know that when I switch from my monitor to my TV (both are 1920 by 1080) some of the image is cut off on the TV while it's still visible on the monitor.

The refresh rate should be at 60 Hz, I didn't know that anything had a 30 Hz refresh rate.

1280 by 720 is the normal pixel size on a 720 TV, so that's what your video output should be set to, that would be very low resolution for a 32" monitor (normal would be 2560 x 1440) can't imagine that it wouldn't look pretty fuzzy.

If you are changing the pixel size in the Display Settingsl and you aren't seeing a change then something isn't working.

Check to see if your video card has a settings panel, to change the display settings, as my Nvidia Control panel does.

I've never actually changed my image display size settings there but it's worth a try.

Mike

Back