Windows 10 Screensaver Keeps Turning Off

Spottedfeather

Honorable Member
I don't know what it is, but my screensaver keeps turning it's self off. I'll go to the settings and see that it's set to NONE. Any ideas ?

Is the system waking up or is the screensaver being removed?
I have the screensaver set to turn on after 15 minutes. But every other week or so, I'll notice that it's been more than 15 minutes but the screensaver didn't come on. I'll go into the settings and find that the screensaver is set to none.

Well it's fairly trivial to programmatically change it. You'd need to use a program like procmon to monitor the registry location for changes and hope you can detect which program is removing the value.

The values that control that are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Well it's fairly trivial to programmatically change it. You'd need to use a program like procmon to monitor the registry location for changes and hope you can detect which program is removing the value.

The values that control that are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
I wish I understood how to do that. I don't have the money to repair the computer or buy a new one if I mess it up. Oh, well.

It won't mess anything up.

Download and run procmon as administrator Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals

Make sure this is checked so it doesn't hold filtered events
1624478091649.png

Then go back into Filter > Filter... and create a filter like this
1624478143426.png

Then it's just a matter of waiting. If you start seeing events then you'll see which process is modifying settings
1624478278774.png

It won't mess anything up.

Download and run procmon as administrator Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals

Make sure this is checked so it doesn't hold filtered events
View attachment 39938

Then go back into Filter > Filter... and create a filter like this
View attachment 39939

Then it's just a matter of waiting. If you start seeing events then you'll see which process is modifying settings
View attachment 39941
how long do I have to watch ? I really don't understand any of this. Create what kind of filter ?

Back