Windows 10 SDCard Write protected

djchapple

Extraordinary Member
I have a Lenovo laptop running fully up=to-date Windows 10 Pro and within the last month the laptop has stopped writing to SDCard informing me that they are write protected. This happens with standard size sdcards amd micro sdcards.

I have checjed, many times. that the write-protect switch on the normal size sdcards and on the micro-to -normal-size adapters are in the wriye position so tjos NOT the propblem.

The micro sdcards do not have a physical write protect switch.

I have tried using the internal card reader on the Lenovo laptop and I have tried four different usb card readers in three different usb ports.

My wife has an Acer lalptop running fully up-to-date Windows 10 Home and I have exactly the same problems with the sdcards.

Any ideas, please.

Last edited:
I would try formatting one of the cards and try writing to it. Sometimes that message means the MFT is corrupt.

Thanks for the suggestion but The computer fails to format it as it thinksthe sdcard is write protected. I tried checking the sdcard as one would check a hard drive but ir still says that it cannot as it is write protected.

I am now trying to see if I can write to it via an external card reader attached to my galaxy tab S

Last edited:
Just got back home and I have managed to delete files on the sdcard using an external card reader connected to my Galaxy Tab S so it appears that the sdcard is not locked. Strange.......

Try accessing the card via an external card reader on the Lenovo. If it is ok that would suggest the fault is with the Lenovo cad reader slot.

Back