Windows 10 several issues after having to reinstall windows

Recently my computer decided to die and when i tried to fix it die even further, so I had to reinstall windows. I have a few issues now. First I can't get intel rapid storage technology to work, I downloaded the driver but it didn't install. Second my touchpad has no settings, i installed the synaptics drivers that it used to have, but i can't locate the settings to change things for my touchpad, which makes it really hard to use it. third, there are more partitions than there were before and come of them can't be gotten rid of, one is several hundred mbs, when i took my computer in for repairs after i messed it up they said they couldn't recover my data because it was encrypted or damaged, i think this partition may be data that somehow got messed up, my data was not encrypted.

additional issues i've found:

not all of the "function" buttons work, can't turn off the touchpad, but other buttons work.

headphones don't register as headphones anymore, they just come through as the speaker, but through the headphones. it's really heavy on base and doesn't sound good, also needs way more volume.

how can i fix these issues? the computer is a dell inspiron 14z if that helps.

just got it all reinstalled and am working through the issues as they come. will post more here as issues arise.

Last edited:
Well in Windows 10 you will generally have three partitions. One is the recovery partition which is 450MBs one is a EFS boot partition which is 100MB and the other is the Windows partition. As for the function buttons, touchpad and speakers you probably have missing drivers/utilies

I am a Dell user. Not much help, I'm afraid, but some of the Inspiron Laptops were definitely a non no for windows 10. Has it even installed a driver for the graphics chip, or is it using the generic one?

On the Dells that I use, Windows 10 has picked up on the Touchpad. It is an "Alps" and you should find a new Control panel item "Dell TouchPad", which gives several options.

Capture.PNG

I am a Dell user. Not much help, I'm afraid, but some of the Inspiron Laptops were definitely a non no for windows 10. Has it even installed a driver for the graphics chip, or is it using the generic one?

On the Dells that I use, Windows 10 has picked up on the Touchpad. It is an "Alps" and you should find a new Control panel item "Dell TouchPad", which gives several options.

View attachment 31519

yeah, that's what the old controls looked like. i had it on win 10 before i had to reinstall, now i can't find it :/

Did you ever find out why your computer "died", and what actions you took to fix it?

How did you do the reinstall? was it from a fresh ISO?

Did you ever find out why your computer "died", and what actions you took to fix it?

How did you do the reinstall? was it from a fresh ISO?

it died initially because the intel rapid storage tech driver failed and it wouldn't start up, then i accidentally changed the status of the ssd from intel rapid storage to ata and it f'd everything up. i meant to just disable it in bios but i messed it all up.

i then had to do a clean install via a usb. lost everything.

apparently the computer now recognizes my headphones as a microphone and thinks it is piping the audio through the speaks, hence the shitty sound.

@HelterSkelter When you go to Device Management, do you see any devices that have a yellow exclamation point (failed to initialize) or a lot of drivers that are running Microsoft compatibility drivers? When you clean installed Windows, you likely lost the drivers that Dell OEM pre-installs with your machine, including Intel's INF Chipset drivers. You should really go to the Driver section at Dell's website and re-install these drivers, and then look for updates from Intel and other vendors on each individual website.

@HelterSkelter When you go to Device Management, do you see any devices that have a yellow exclamation point (failed to initialize) or a lot of drivers that are running Microsoft compatibility drivers? When you clean installed Windows, you likely lost the drivers that Dell OEM pre-installs with your machine, including Intel's INF Chipset drivers. You should really go to the Driver section at Dell's website and re-install these drivers, and then look for updates from Intel and other vendors on each individual website.

usb 2.0 crw has one. it won't update and i don't know what it is though.

got it all working again. unplugged my mouse and everything installed properly lol. thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate the help.

only thing bothering me still is that, while the sound sounds fine now, i have to put it to about 45-50 to get it as loud as it used to be at 25. any ideas on that?

got it all working again. unplugged my mouse and everything installed properly lol. thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate the help.

only thing bothering me still is that, while the sound sounds fine now, i have to put it to about 45-50 to get it as loud as it used to be at 25. any ideas on that?
Can you specify the exact sound card on the machine?

Speccy - System Information - Free Download

If you can post the output, I can probably give you a heads up if its a driver issue.

i'll just copy-paste everything, cus i dunno what you are looking for, tried to post everything i thought could be relevant.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 3537U @ 2.00GHz 59 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 05WDP7 (SOCKET 0) 60 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Dell)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7570M (Dell)
CrossFire Disabled
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500LT012-9WS142 (SATA) 35 °C
29GB SAMSUNG SSD PM830 mSATA 32GB (SSD)
Optical Drives
MATSHITA DVD+-RW UJ8C2
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Cores 2
Threads 4
Name Intel Core i7 3537U
Code Name Ivy Bridge
Package Socket 1023 FCBGA
Technology 22nm
Specification Intel Core i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz
Family 6
Extended Family 6
Model A
Extended Model 3A
Stepping 9
Revision E1/L1
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX
Virtualization Supported, Enabled
Hyperthreading Supported, Enabled
Bus Speed 99.8 MHz
Stock Core Speed 2000 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 100 MHz

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 05WDP7 (SOCKET 0)
Version A13
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Ivy Bridge
Chipset Revision 09
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model HM77
Southbridge Revision 04
System Temperature 60 °C
BIOS
Brand Dell Inc.
Version A13
Date 5/18/2013
PCI Data
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation J6B2
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation J6B1
Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME
Slot Number 1

Audio
Sound Cards
High Definition Audio Device
Intel Display Audio
Playback Device
Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Recording Devices
Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) (default)
Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) (default)

Important: Dell posted some updates, including Intel INF driver updates for your system today at:

Product Support | Dell Australia

Recommendation: Download and install any and all drivers dated 12/23/2015 today (which is almost all of them!)

Specifically:

Intel Chipset Drivers (Intel INF Update) *
Intel Management Engine Interface Drivers *

This could fix many issues with USB and motherboard control in general.

There is a real reason I have requested your specs: Trying to figure out which model 15Z you have as well as see what is going on with the sound. The problem, of course, is that your sound, is listed as "High Definition Audio Device" which is very often a generic term Windows often uses to mean... who knows what this is, so we are using Microsoft compatibility drivers.

Although a bit older than usual, I confirm, based on the above output, you are running the Del Inspiron 14z 5423. Try these for audio at your own peril (but only after updating your primary drivers from the Dell support site above:

IDT High Definition Audio Driver Driver Details | Dell US

If sound continues to be an issue I would contact Dell support. But, on the off chance this fixes your issue, please report.

that audio driver fixed the weird problem. now everything is working the way it should :}. thanks you all again for the help getting my computer working again.

Back