Windows XP SFC /Scannow Problem

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
Hello.

I thought I'd check the system files as something about the system has crippled the machine's ability to run .JAR files.

Did SFC /Scannow from cmd prompt. 'Please insert your Windows XP Professional SP-3 CD now'
I inserted the system disc ... The system is XP Home according to Control Panel/System. The system disc is also OEM XP Home SP-3 v.2002 which corresponds exactly to the information in Control Panel/System.

OK, so I gave it an XP Professional SP-3 disc from another machine: 'Please insert your Windows XP Professional SP-3 CD now'.

Is there any way of defeating this nonsense so that I can check the integrity of my system files?

Regards,

Cheemag

Thanks for that. Looks like that's the problem. I'll have a go at it later.

It doesn't work. I am now told that 'The CD you have provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Home Service Pack 3 CD into your CD-ROM drive".

Arrant nonsense !

What now?

Regards,

Cheemag

I cannot find any reporting that this fix fails to solve the problem. Have you confirmed that the inf files have been edited and saved as required? You may like to post the contents here if you are unsure.

>
Cheemag, patcooke replied to a thread you are watching at Windows Forum.

SFC /Scannow Problem
I cannot find any reporting that this fix fails to solve the problem. Have you confirmed that the inf files have been edited and saved as required? You may like to post the contents here if you are unsure.

I'm finding it inordinately difficult to navigate this forum. I found this message in my mailbox with no obvious way to reply to it in the forum:

>I cannot find any reporting that this fix fails to solve the problem. Have you confirmed that the inf files have been >edited and saved as required? You may like to post the contents here if you are unsure.

OK. These are the files: FP40EXT.inf & IMS.INF

I can't upload the files to the forum as .INF is not a 'permitted extension'.

I'm going to give up on this and reinstall the system.

Incidentally, the other XP Home machine exhibits the same symptoms.

Regards,

Cheemag

ok.
I'm finding it inordinately difficult to navigate this forum. I found this message in my mailbox with no obvious way to reply to it in the forum:
You may find it helpful for future reference that the message in your mailbox was to advise you of the new post in the forum. The mechanism for replying is, as you seem to have found, to simply log on to the forum and navigate to your thread. Hope the reinstall sorts it for you.

I'm thinking perhaps if you take your XP cd and slipstream SP3 on to it (make a new CD with SP3 files included), perhaps this would resolve the issue?

That's something I'd probably have tried but reading the details of the inf file edits it seems to be some problem with the disk being identified as home or professional.

Maybe we should look at the problem a different way. The original situation was in reference to .jar files. From what I can tell, those should be related to Java applications and my not even have any "System" files that would be checked by the SFC.

Also, from my XP days, I do not remember SFC being very reliable if run after some updates might have been installed that changed some system files. Maybe SP3 made that better, not really sure. I started running it on my old laptop, and was asked to insert the DVD also.

I would probably try reinstalling whatever application that is supposed to be using the .jar files. Do you happen to know which ones are causing the problems?

In reference to the SFC problem, I notice the Microsoft site does not mention SP3, but only SP1 and 2. Maybe they repaired the problem in SP3.

The only semi-reasonable question I could ask would be do you know for sure the Home version media you are using is in fact the Home Edition Install DVD and not some OEM type CD used to recover the system?

Back