Sharing hard drive windows 8 and 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by nzskiing, Dec 6, 2014.

1. nzskiing

nzskiing Member

Hi there,
    I have a desktop running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 8, I am also in a homegroup. Now I want to be able to share my hard drive on both computers with each other but not allow anyone else to view it. I would also like to allow read and write access for both computers too.
    How can i do this?

Thanks

2. Spirit Wolfe

Spirit Wolfe Well-Known Member

Greetings:

Underneath the Homegroup that you have set up there are public folders that you can set up so that any files, pictures, documents and music that you deposit into those folders you can have others within the network via the homegroup password access those and only those you deem with rights and privileges set under each of your computers admin settings. For example, you can set up a folder that doubles as a networked drive (with a dedicated drive letter like G: or H:) between your two computers that you can only see or access via the permissions you set. These permissions' locations are under the properties

Keep in mind that on a homegroup network you (if you do not know already) that you must have one of your computers as the primary or first homegroup member. I would make your Windows 8 as your primary because of it is a newer OS, but you can make the desktop the primary since you probably have most of your peripherals and files linked to the desktop, yes?

I have a conundrum myself that I would like to get solved...but it does not pertain to your thread...

I am still unsure (though not a novice) about networking. I just need to learn more about it...

I hope I helped you to solve yours...

3. nzskiing

nzskiing Member

Thanks for your reply, I thought what I wanted was simple just knowing how to do it but it seems to be a lot harder than i though. Its stupid cause my PC camn see my laptop but my laptop can't see my PC yet they can ping each other too. Its quite confusing, with the homegroup and all and i don't think it helps having different computers with different versions on windows, but i still thought it could work.
    Thanks anyway :)

4. Spirit Wolfe

This is why Microsoft when they introduced Windows 7 they created a homegroup feature. Microsoft tried to set up a file sharing service under Windows 7 & 8 so even the network and computer challenged can enjoy and reap the benefits of the full networking procedure.

Try this:

First, choose a Primary computer that you want first on the homegroup network.

Second, goto this Microsoft website which explains step-by-step the procedures on creating the homegroup: http://bit.ly/1A9PZ3t

Honestly, this is supposed to be fun, and having a network with different versions of Windows is the whole idea why Microsoft created the homegroup integration. By setting this up this allows a network challenged person such as yourself to setup their own network by way of a little reading and a few clicks of the mouse. Just keep in mind that the primary computer's password of your homegroup is the password you use for all the rest of your computers you would like to have within the homegroup.

Hope this makes things a little simpler for you and keep in mind that this is a great forum to fall back on for help if you get stuck!

Happy Holidays!

5. nzskiing

nzskiing Member

Thanks for your reply, I guess there is no way to have a homegroup but ask for a password of the account you want to access. Like If i log into my laptop from my pc then i have to enter my laptop password

6. Spirit Wolfe

There is a way to have a HomeGroup. When you follow the steps and initialize the procedure to connecting with a HomeGroup at the end there is a alpha-numeric password windows 7 gives to you for you to print or write down in a off-yellow colored box. This password is the HomeGroup password that you use with all of your other computers to access the home group on the primary or initial computer of your choosing...

For example, I want to create a HomeGroup using my notebook as the primary. I start the HomeGroup proceedings and then whatever password I get from when I finished the steps to create a HomeGroup on my notebook, I then use this same password within the proceedings of creating a HomeGroup on my other networked computers. By using the same password on all of the computers you would like to join a HomeGroup for lets Windows 7/8 know that you gave each computer access to the other and vice versa. Therefore, whatever files and other information you put into the publicly shared folders (C:\Users\Public\) will be allowed to be viewed and accessed by the other members of the HomeGroup.

Hope this helps...

Happy Holidays!

7. nzskiing

nzskiing Member

Yeah i get that but i dont want to share my files with everyone on the home group only certain computers

8. Spirit Wolfe

So what you do is put only the files that you want to share with others within the C:\Users\Public directory area. If you did not modify the permissions for other folders on the computers that hold the files that you do not want the public to have access for then you should be okay and the public will not see them. They will only see the files addressed within the User's Public area as aforementioned.

Happy Holidays!

9. nzskiing

nzskiing Member

I don't want to move files to the Public Folder when i want to copy things to my other computer, I don't care if i have to share my hard drive all i wanted was to have a password where if you want to view the hard drive you have to enter the password to get into the comptuer like the log in password