Windows 7 Sharing hard drive windows 8 and 7

nzskiing

Hi there,
I have a desktop running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 8, I am also in a homegroup. Now I want to be able to share my hard drive on both computers with each other but not allow anyone else to view it. I would also like to allow read and write access for both computers too.
How can i do this?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I thought what I wanted was simple just knowing how to do it but it seems to be a lot harder than i though. Its stupid cause my PC camn see my laptop but my laptop can't see my PC yet they can ping each other too. Its quite confusing, with the homegroup and all and i don't think it helps having different computers with different versions on windows, but i still thought it could work.
Thanks anyway :)

Thanks for your reply, I guess there is no way to have a homegroup but ask for a password of the account you want to access. Like If i log into my laptop from my pc then i have to enter my laptop password

Yeah i get that but i dont want to share my files with everyone on the home group only certain computers

So what you do is put only the files that you want to share with others within the C:\Users\Public directory area. If you did not modify the permissions for other folders on the computers that hold the files that you do not want the public to have access for then you should be okay and the public will not see them. They will only see the files addressed within the User's Public area as aforementioned.

Happy Holidays!
I don't want to move files to the Public Folder when i want to copy things to my other computer, I don't care if i have to share my hard drive all i wanted was to have a password where if you want to view the hard drive you have to enter the password to get into the comptuer like the log in password

Back