Windows 10 Should I upgrade from W7 to W10? I'm not quite sure how to do it, I have a custom desktop.

budmonster

My buddy built me a PC a while ago with Windows 7 at the time. I have Windows 10 I just don't know if it's worth to update or even how to do it?

I have a SSD that has Win7 on it and a HDD as well. If you recommend that I do upgrade, how do I do it, I'm not familiar with this. Also, should I do a fresh wipe(don't know how to).

Also, I haven't backed up my desktop yet, is that something I should be doing frequently and if so what program should I be using?

Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do all this, it's stressful.

I have Windows 10 I just don't know if it's worth to update or even how to do it?
if you have installed it then thats fine... if you have not installed it (you just have an iso file?) then don't try it now... if you have payed for a retail wx copy but not installed it yet then you have two options,

imo you don't sound like you have any pressing need to upgrade and havn't told us what or why you think wx is a good idea so I'd recommend staying with w7 for now... assumes that system does what you need it too.

Hi

As Ussnorway said, it's too late to upgrade for free if you haven't already done it on that computer.
And if Windows 7 works well for you leave it alone.

I still think that Windows 7 was the best OS that Microsoft ever made.

If you have purchased it, then back up everything on your computer, and stick in the DVD and follow the instructions it's pretty simple.
I can't remember the options off hand but I believe that it will give you the option to upgrade of do a clean installation.

Research that before you start, try this, I think it covers it pretty completely with photos.

How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10, the Easy Way

Mike

[QUOTE="budmonster, post: 678237, member: 94926"]My buddy built me a PC a while ago with Windows 7 at the time. I have Windows 10 I just don't know if it's worth to update or even how to do it?
>>>Glad you asked that question, it's a good one!;) See my answers below...<<<
<<<

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I have a SSD that has Win7 on it and a HDD as well. If you recommend that I do upgrade, how do I do it, I'm not familiar with this. Also, should I do a fresh wipe(don't know how to).
>>>If your Win7 machine has the GWX white flag in the system tray at the lower-right of your desktop, you can click on it and it will download and upgrade your machine. Don't forget to run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST prior to running the rest of the Upgrade!! Once you've accomplished the W10 upgrade successfully, you can then do a Clean Install from scratch after that if you don't get a good W10 install or it gets corrupted or infected by a virus. After backing your stuff up, you can run the Clean Install without having to re-enter your W10 license product key since the Microsoft Activation servers will store your legit W7->W10 upgrade for you.:up: Given that information, it's critical that you BACKUP ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA (LIBRARY FOLDERS) TO EXTERNAL MEDIA PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING ANY KIND OF OS UPGRADE!!
There are 3 programs we recommend here to do this via an Image Backup.:D They are:
1.) Macrium Reflect
2.) Acronis TrueImage
3.) EASETodo

We have tested these programs with all versions of Windows XP-W10 and they work reliably.:up:
Here's a great video on how to make an Image Backup using Macrium:

<<<
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Also, I haven't backed up my desktop yet, is that something I should be doing frequently and if so what program should I be using?
>>>Oh my, Yes!!! Absolutely, I've written many books, articles, blogs, and presentations about the importance of doing so.:cheerful: I've given you 3 recommendations on the best software to make Image Backups of your hard drive above, which is the preferred method of backup. This will protect you from viruses such as Ransomware viruses that lock all of your data files up on your computer and demand from $250-$2,500 US to unlock. :waah: It also will protect you from failed hard drives.:headache: Hard drives are only designed to last 3 years in desktop PCs and only 2 years in laptops; it's not a case of "IF" your hard drive will fail, but rather "WHEN" it will fail and it's best to be prepared for it.
Here's a link to a recent Backup Presentation I did:
backup_your_computer PURDUE Rev3A MBUSCH RLLOYD 07172014.ppt - Microsoft PowerPoint Online
And just in case you want to read more: How to Backup Your Computer: The Complete Guide to Computer Backup

<<<
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do all this, it's stressful.[/QUOTE]
<<<Sure, that's what were for.:star: Hopefully, you can gain some insight into why this process is so important. People who don't know about it, or don't think it's worth the effort wind up suffering irretrievable data loss, or very very expensive professional Data Recovery and you never get 100% back no matter how much you spend.:waah: <<<
<<<
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
You can do a clean install of Windows 10 which won't take into account any of your other files, programs, etc but it will wipe the machine. Still, if you want no compatibility issues, it's best to back up your data and do a clean install.

A Disk Imager like Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, or Drive Cloner will work.

One thing I don't see recommended online but is a great idea is to take a disk image after you install Windows 10. Alternatively, you could use a snapshot program like Comodo Time Machine or Rollback Rx if you want a faster and less invasive solution.

Good luck!

As mentioned in Post #4, a Clean Install will only work AFTER you've successfully completed the W7->W10 upgrade online via the Internet. Otherwise, just doing a Clean Install with Microsoft MCT tool & ISO file will produce a non-Activated W10 license. Since the OP has missed the July 29th deadline for the free W10 Upgrade, he can still download and install W10 via Upgrade, however, he will now have to pay for a Microsoft product key and license which runs about $80-$205 online. It's good sometimes to wait, though waiting over a year can be costly. :cash:

BBJ

Back
Top Bottom