Windows 8 Simple Windows 8 Tutorials

Hi Windows 8 Forum Users,

First let me say I am still somewhat new to Windows but I can now use the operating system fairly easy now. I have been using computers since basically I was a little kid but switching to Windows 8 was like a nightmare I couldn't find anything.

Do you need help using Windows 8? If you do I have started making tutorials with very basics first and I will teach you as I learn new things in Windows 8. Below I will post an example video and if you like it I will keep making tutorials to help those who are frustrated with Windows 8. If you need a tutorial just let me know.

Windows 8 Tutorials: Lesson 01 Start Menu and Searching Applications

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work Allen and a very belated
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 8 Forums.
I have also "Stickied" this thread as it deserves to be.

Regards
Don

Another Simple Windows 8 Tutorial. Learn how to adjust your automatic maintenance settings for system diagnostics, security and software updates.

Windows 8 tutorials: Automatic Maintenance Settings Lesson 10

Another Simple Windows 8 Tutorial. Learn how to pin applications that you use the most to your task bar in desktop view.

Windows 8 Tutorials - Pin applications to task bar Lesson 11

Another Simple Windows 8 Tutorial. Learn how to modify Windows update settings and check for optional updates.

Windows 8 tutorials - Change Windows update settings & check optional updates Lesson 12

It's been awhile since I've made a tutorial for you guys. I've been really busy with other tutorials for software but anyhow here is another Simple Windows 8 Tutorial. Learn how to run maintenance for optimizing your hard drive.

Windows 8 tutorials - Analyze and Defragment to Optimize Windows 8 Hard Drives Lesson 13

Windows 8 Tutorials: Shutdown Settings - hibernate, sleep, restart and more Lesson 14

In this Windows 8 Tutorial you will learn how to shutdown your PC. Also you will be able to modify the shutdown settings so that you have access to additional options when you shutdown your computer such a hibernation and sleep mode. If their are shutdown options you don't want displayed you can disable them in the shutdown settings for Windows 8. This tutorial came about after I did some reading and researching on-line and found a lot of people wanted to have certain options display in shutdown settings. I hope you enjoy this tutorial and if you have any questions or suggestions please let me know.

Windows 8 Tutorials: Windows 8 charms bar shortcut Lesson 15

In this Windows 8 Tutorial you will learn how to use the shortcut key for accessing the charms bar in Windows 8. There are a few benefits to this for one the charm bar remains in place even if you don't have your cursor over it; also it saves you time by not having to go all the way to the upper right hand corner of your screen every-time you want to access the windows 8 charms bar.

Windows 8 Tutorials: How to search Windows 8 Store Applications Lesson 16

In this Windows 8 Tutorial you will learn how to search for application in the Windows 8 store. I know it can be a bit confusing for those who have just moved to the Windows 8 store on how to search for store applications in fact it took me like an hour to figure out how to search because all the visual cues were hidden away. However when you finish watching this Windows 8 tutorial you will see it is as easy as being able type on your keyboard to find applications in the Windows 8 store.

Windows 8 Tutorials: Change Tile Size for Windows 8 Metro Applications Lesson 17

In this Windows 8 Tutorial you will learn how to change the application tile size for metro applications. If the application is not a metro style application you will not be able to re-size it. Their are a few benefits to changing the tile size of applications including the ability to have more applications viewable in smaller space so that you don't have to scroll through assuming you make applications smaller. Enlarging the application will allow you to see more information about that app. Its also beneficial for those who may be visually impaired as the large tiled applications are more readable. Hopefully by now you are feeling a little more confident about your Windows 8 experience and ability to learn the operating system to get things done. If you have any Windows 8 tutorials request for help using Windows let me know.

Windows 8 Tutorials: Disable Automatic Maintenance Lesson 18

In this Windows 8 Tutorial you will learn how to disable automatic maintenance. Their are really two situations I can think of when you would want to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 8. The first being if your Windows 8 computer came with a Solid State Disk then you will probably want to disable automatic maintenance. The reason being is that a solid state disk does no benefit from defrags and the automatic maintenance automatically defrags your hard drive and this will take away from the life cycle of your SSD drive. The other scenario is if you have your own tools for system diagnostics, security scans and software updates then you might want to disable it. Also as a side-note this does not affect your windows 8 updates so rest assured those will still occur when updates are available; unless you manually disable it on your own.

In this Windows 8 tutorial we will access the Task Scheduler to disable two items. The first being the idle option that activates maintenance when computer is idle. The other option is going to be the automatic maintenance that occurs at a specific time interval. If you have any questions about this Windows 8 tutorial please let me know and I will do my best to assist you.

These are great, easy to follow tutorials. These are what should be played during the Windows 8 installation, not that stupid little cut scene telling you to swipe to the right side, etc. to bring up charms and what not.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the feedback glad you like the Windows 8 tutorials. I prefer hands on examples personally with someone guiding me through a process or function. It would have eliminated a lot of confusion if they had included some videos to introduce the Operating System showing the basic mechanics of how things work.
These are great, easy to follow tutorials. These are what should be played during the Windows 8 installation, not that stupid little cut scene telling you to swipe to the right side, etc. to bring up charms and what not.

Keep up the great work!

I prefer hands on examples personally with someone guiding me through a process or function.

This is called visual learning. It is why I tried to make a broad emphasis of it with Windows 7. What can't be read can be seen. From a very technical and human standpoint, you are making up for a lot of work I can't do without FRAPS. I find Camtasia to be extremely cumbersome and the VMWare Workstation screen recorder is hell on wheels for me, especially when it occasionally still makes corrupt movie files on extremely long, highest quality recordings. Eventually, I will get back into it, but I am endlessly waiting for FRAPS to come back to the fray, which, I believe, it will. Some of my best videos have been done with overdubs, without overdubs... the ones that really mattered got a lot of views, and if that helped people I am extraordinarily pleased.

I believe your tutorials are an asset to the entire Windows community and as a 2x Microsoft MVP and 7x certified IT professional, I think it is great what you are doing. No one should have a capitalization on knowledge or information. You are giving people a chance to get over the curve. Great job! :)

Thanks, it really means a lot coming from a Microsoft Professional. I think it is important to share knowledge to benefit the overall growth of everyone. I learn a lot from others and share what I learn from others its kind of like a cycle of sharing knowledge that never ends.
This is called visual learning. It is why I tried to make a broad emphasis of it with Windows 7. What can't be read can be seen. From a very technical and human standpoint, you are making up for a lot of work I can't do without FRAPS. I find Camtasia to be extremely cumbersome and the VMWare Workstation screen recorder is hell on wheels for me, especially when it occasionally still makes corrupt movie files on extremely long, highest quality recordings. Eventually, I will get back into it, but I am endlessly waiting for FRAPS to come back to the fray, which, I believe, it will. Some of my best videos have been done with overdubs, without overdubs... the ones that really mattered got a lot of views, and if that helped people I am extraordinarily pleased.

I believe your tutorials are an asset to the entire Windows community and as a 2x Microsoft MVP and 7x certified IT professional, I think it is great what you are doing. No one should have a capitalization on knowledge or information. You are giving people a chance to get over the curve. Great job! :)

Windows 8 Tutorials: Add and or Switch Keyboard Language Lesson 19

In this Windows 8 Tutorial you will learn how to add different languages to your Keyboard. This is very beneficial especially with the world becoming more global and connected. Once you add additional languages to your keyboard you will have the option to switch between those keyboard languages. Although not shown in video if you press the windows key plus the space bar button it will automatically switch between the languages you have activated in Windows 8. In this windows 8 tutorial I will show you how to add the Spanish language derived from Mexico.

If you have any questions about this Windows 8 tutorial please let me know and I will do my best to assist you.

The videos are great. Keep up the good work.

I've also created a Windows 8 tutorial video (or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wAlVz3tJvw).

Check it out and let me know what you think?

I left you a message on your video.... I think it was a good tutorial in fact a lot better than most Windows 8 tutorials I've seen. You guys got some good equipment doing the white background cutting back and forth like adobe with shifts from screen view to focusing on you when talking.

Back
Top Bottom