Windows 7 Slow wake-up from standby.

grepan

I run Windows 7 Professional (completely legit) on an Atom netbook (Asus 1005HA), and while i find the system at least as fast as XP, when it's really up and running, even with all the eye candy switched on, there is another thing which is not so good.

Wakeups from standby are horribly slow! The system often keeps hammering the disk aggressively for two or three minutes after the screen has switched on. This NEVER happened for me in XP, the system would wake up in five seconds and then be essentially quiet.

What is even weirder, it seems those horribly slow wake ups mostly occur if the system has slept for an hour or more. If I just let it sleep for ten minutes it seems to wake up acceptably fast without much of the slugginess.

Any ideas?

Edit 1: As a start, I have disabled AVG resident shield, in case that has something to do with it.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the Windows7forums,

Did this occur immediately after installing Windows 7.

Was this an upgrade or a 'clean' install?

Please fill in your computer specs by clicking on the Settings link at the top of the page.

This helps greatly with trouble-shooting your problem.

You can get this detailed information by downloading SIW (System Info) 2009.10.22 and going through the various pages

Wakeups from standby are horribly slow! The system often keeps hammering the disk aggressively for two or three minutes after the screen has switched on. This NEVER happened for me in XP, the system would wake up in five seconds and then be essentially quiet.

What is even weirder, it seems those horribly slow wake ups mostly occur if the system has slept for an hour or more. If I just let it sleep for ten minutes it seems to wake up acceptably fast without much of the slugginess.

Sleep is the new standby for windows 7, it saves the system settings and open programs into the RAM. Sleep allows you to shut down and later start your computer and have all your work restored exactly as it was before you put it to sleep mode. Hibernation performs a similar function. So it involves writing and reading data to hard drive.

Windows 7 Help (Start --> Help and Support):

Start --> Help and Support said:
Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions

Here are answers to some common questions about sleep and hibernation.

What's the difference between sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep?
Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player: The computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won’t use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate—it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers.

I did a clean install

Hybrid sleep is disabled

And yes, in my wording please see "Sleep" and "Standby" as equal.

Investigate your hibernation settings. It would be my guess that after prolonged periods of sleep/standby your computer is resorting to the settings under hibernations, thereby, depending on how much physical memory you have, is putting some things on your hard drive (hiberfil.sys or pagefile.sys) and that may be why you are seeing the excessive IO going on when you wake it up.

Two or three minutes is not much for a small note to "wake-up" in 7, just nothing unusual. :)

Remind me never to use sleep mode!!!

BTW, where's your link to the Pink Floyd videos.

sorry for going off-topic, but............I hope you're saving these to your hard drive for future listening.

Here's an excellent program for that:
VideoCacheView v1.53

Back