Windows 8 ***SOLVED***How to download & create a Windows 8.1 w/ Update 1 iso file

My question is; why all of a sudden is MS putting this out there? With ever version before, except for version 7 and only for a short time, the ISO was not available for mass download or creating an ISO with out knowing someone with a MSN, TechNet and then later the MVP holders with a subscription to upload one for you.

why all of a sudden is MS putting this out there?
Because very few new computers are being sold with the actual OS DVDs. In the past this was not quite the issue as, when you purchased a New Computer, generally the media came along with the purchase, very often you got a factory reset disk as well as an OS only disk.
Now, with recent purchases you don't get anything. Not even a physical product key as it's embedded in the UEFI Bios.
So I think it's an important move on the part of Microsoft and a hell of a convenience for a lot of us.

Because Microsoft stopped selling Windows 7 as of Friday. They put out the iso's of 8.1, so people can do clean installs of 8.1. You also need to remember Steve Ballmer is gone and Satalya, brought back Bill Gates as a advisor. Satalya, appear's to know what he's doing, compared to Steve.

Because Microsoft stopped selling Windows 7 as of Friday. They put out the iso's of 8.1, so people can do clean installs of 8.1. You also need to remember Steve Ballmer is gone and Satalya, brought back Bill Gates as a advisor. Satalya, appear's to know what he's doing, compared to Steve.

I have a question.
What good will that do to Win 7 users if they do not have Win 8 or 8.1 product key ?
If the Win 7 users have the win8/8.1 product key, then the iso file download is unnecessary. Isn't it ? They could not have the key without the dvd software. Right ?

However, it is GREAT for Win 8 users like me. Now if I have issue with my Win 8.1 Pro, I would not have to start from scratch.
Thank you for that.

OK. I got it.
People can buy a Win 8 installation software, but instead of using the installation dvd, they can download win 8.1 iso, burnt it to bootable DVD and install Win 8.1 using Win 8 product key.

Adding....... retail stores might as well return those Win 8.1 software packages for refunds. Who would buy a Win 8.1 when Win 8 is cheaper.

Last edited:
The iso was downloaded, BUT, burning to bootable DVD failed.
Using Win 7 USB/DVD Download Tool as well as Imgburn.
Both failed.

P.S. the iso file is an esd file. Needs to be decrypted ?

Last edited:
The way I did it with the tool. 1. Download and save the iso 2. Open the Windows 7 DVD Tool and put it on a flash drive.You may want to disable your antivirus software, while downloading the iso file. Also, if you have a Windows 8 key and try to install 8.1 with the 8 key, it won't work. You need to use a generic Windows 8.1 key, which you can find online. Then after 8.1 is installed, right-click This PC>Properties>Change Product Key or you do the same through the Charms Bar's Settings window and enter the Windows 8 key and activate it.

Perhaps I have not made myself clear.
My problem was unable to create a bootable 8.1DVD based on the link you posted, not unable to install 8.1.
I have had installed 8.1 more than 5 times.

My Av are...... Windows Defender with free edition of Malwarebytes.
I don't think AV has anything to do with it.
In the past I had Avast and I never had to disable my AV when I burnt an iso to dvd.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Today I decided to try it again.
Using the same iso that I had downloaded and Win 7 USB/DVD Download Tool, I am able to created a bootable DVD.
Why it failed yesterday is unknown to me.
Will it work ? I have no way to find out as I already have Win 8.1 Pro running and there is no issue.
I'll keep it for future reference.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom