Windows 10 (Solved)I Have Only One Power Plan

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by hawkeye62, Aug 17, 2015.

1. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Senior Member

I just upgraded to Win 10 on my Surface Pro 3. I had two problems one of which has been solved. The one that is solved was that my Samsung SDXC card was not recognized. It didn't appear in Device Manager or in Computer Management > Disk Management. I "fixed" the problem by re-installing Windows 10, this time with the SDXC card installed in the slot.

The second problem which remains unsolved is that I have only the Balanced Power Plan. powercfg /l shows only the Balanced plan as does Control Panel > Power Options. I checked Hyper-v which had to be on in Windows 8 for the other Power plans to show up. It was already on, I turned it off, then on but it made no difference.

So, I am stuck. I have only the Balanced plan.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Jim,
    What power plan were you after? Do you realise that you can create a power plan yourself although usually certain apps will create power plans for you depending on what the situation is (like using a new SSD or similar).

3. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Senior Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know that, but my only starting point would be the Balanced plan. And based on a lot of trial an error in the past, each power plan has settings that are not visible and form a base plan. Even if all user adjustable settings are the same, each plan gives different results on battery life, performance, etc. That is why I want all three power plans that MS says comes as default plans in Windows 10.

Thanks, Jim

4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Senior Member

OK, a reply on another forum suggested a registry hack which solved the problem. I now have the three power plans MS says are there as defaults, Balanced, Battery Saver and Performance.

Regards, Jim

5. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Thanks for letting us know Jim and glad to hear you got a solution. Is there any chance you would share the solution with our users too?

hawkeye62 likes this.
  6. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Do you see this:

Untitled.
    You may have tried this, This is on a Laptop, of course. But, if you do have it, try the High Performance and then, in the next picture, and then, on the right the "change plan settings".
    Not sure, as I do not have one, but in the surface pro if you have turned off the hyper v, you may need to reboot to activate it again??

7. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP

Disregard my post. (of course!). Seems the other two posts came in whilst I was writing!

#7 davehc, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    hawkeye62 likes this.
  8. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Senior Member

Yeah, but you have to be comfortable with making changes to the registry. First, run regedit, then:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Power

Then set the "CsEnabled" parameter to 0 hex
    Then set the "HibernateEnabled" parameter to 1 hex (It may already be set to 1)

Then reboot. Control Panel > Power Options should now show all three power plans, Balanced, Power Saver and Performance.

Good luck, Jim

kemical likes this.
  9. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP

Just confirm, from what I read. On the surface, when you do this, you can no longer wake from sleep with touch? Something to do with disconnecting the standby and enabling hibernate, perhaps. I need to pass this on to my grandchildren, who being richer than I, all have surface pros