Windows 7 some Desktop icons have gone away

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
When I rebooted my computer this AM a number of icons on the desktop had been replaced with the windows default icon used when Windows can't find the icon specified.

Also, I could not access a number of root folders and the programs in them would not run from system calls as in the startup process. I think I fixed the issue with "Take Ownership", as I can now access all of them. I haven't rebooted yet.

The Icon issue is stranger. When I go to properties/change icon, I see the icon in the specified file but it isn't on the desktop. It does appear in Windows Explorer. If the file has more than one icon I can successfully set it to any of the others, but not the first one, regardless of how many times I change it.

I haven't found a virus yet.

Hi ruggb,
are you using 32 or 64bit? Also do you use any cleaners like ccleaner or Regcure?
I can't remember what you said last time but is your installation a upgrade or clean install?

it is a clean install. it is 63 bit - a little bit short.

I don't know if the two events are related.
about 15 min after I took back ownership and reset a few of the icons to alternate icons, the ones I couldn't change came back. I could also change the others back to the original.

So now it is back to what it was. I didn't find any viruses that were active.

I guess it wouldn't be Windoz if it didn't do weird things.

thks

Lol...oh well, at least you found a solution of sorts..:D

Back