Windows 7 Something else I never knew...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Maybe I'm the only one that didn't know this, but if you are in Windows Explorer and you right click in the background of the right pane while holding the shift key it adds the command "Open Command Window Here" to the drop down and if you click it, it opens the C:\ prompt window where you clicked.

Mike

You have already found, perhaps, that if you do the same with any folder (in the left pane) you will also get that option .-plus an a huge string of others!

It's ironic, odd, interesting, sad that there is so much that's 'there' w/ these things :computer: that oft doesn't get used or slips through the cracks.

Yes. It seems a shame, to me. Not new by any means with Microsoft. I hate the analogy but, if you buy a new car, you get a handbook as standard. It covers, 100%, all the new buttons you might see in front of you, plus any other new gadgets lurking around.
With Microsoft, and most particuarly with Vista/Windows 7, although, I know, there are third party books around, it does seem you have to experiment or thoroughly browse Microsoft's pages to find out how to use the more intricate operations

Yes, unfortunately, to a large extent it's true. Certainly, for me, a lot has been discovered & learned that way...curiously poking about or 'accidents'. Then, again, if one is motivated to look @ it, the OS Help really delves into a lot & in understandable terms. Still, much is unmentioned. I find Windows 8 less like that, more 'transparent', so to speak.

Hi

Maybe we should have a thread in the Windows 7 discussion forum where everyone adds a command or hint about Windows 7 that isn't commonly known.

I was so surprised that I didn't know about being able to make favorites in Windows Explorer.

Now I use that all the time, instead of clicking through 3 drives and 6 levels of folders to get where I want to be.

How could I not know that, I've used Windows 7 since beta.

I have a text document that I add to all the time.
It has all the links, commands, download sites, and hints that I've found really useful.

I have a link to it on my RocketDock bar so that I'ts always handy.
I seem to refer to it almost every day. often to answer questions on the forum.

Mike

Not a bad idea. We could have something as a 'Sticky' for reference somewhere. & an extension of the idea, Mike, I have, also, found many ppl are unaware of all the keyboard shortcuts including, some that only exist since Windows 7.

Drew

There is, of course, help and support. Try that. Type Commands in the search box of help and support, then browse. "Ketboard shortcuts" comes up with a few. Maybe I should eat my previous words. help and support is not bad, as handbooks go!

Yep & unfortunately End User don't know or think to look there for answers & education but, yeah, it's pretty good, a useful & handy resource.

Back