Windows 10 Sound and videos stop working on Windows 10, work again after reboot.

Wuckster

I've been having an issue for a few months now where after a little while videos and sound will suddenly stop working. Windows media player won't work, youtube won't work, videos won't play on facebook, even the test sounds don't play when I click the little speaker icon in the corner. I am on Windows 10 on a desktop and I can literally be listening to a song and then go to play another song and it will stop working. If I restart the computer everything will work again for awhile, but inevitably the issue arises again and it's a hassle to have to be constantly restarting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran CCleaner and also tried to update both sound and video drivers but am still having the issue. Any other ideas?

I do have VLC . The video portion seems to work but no sound and I've run into the same thing with Divx, in which the video sometimes still works. However on youtube or facebook video won't play at all. Unless, as I said, I restart.

Normal Windows sounds are still there and you also checked the levels and mute settings in the sound mixer, I think? (right click on the speaker symbol in the bottom right corner).

No sound at all once the problem starts. The sound is definitely not muted or turned down. After restarting all video and sound works normal for awhile until it eventually doesn't. Like I mentioned in the first post I can be listening to some music on Windows media player and it will be working fine for awhile and then a song will finish and the next one won't play at all. The bar at the bottom doesn't even move so it's not like it's trying to play the song but no sound is coming out, it's as if it has lost the ability to play files. Interestingly I still seem to be able to burn CD's so it's not like Windows media player isn't working at all. Once the issue starts is when videos will no longer play on facebook or youtube. They simply won't load up at all. In fact, I just tried to play a video on youtube right now and it's giving me a message saying "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device." This is happening with both chrome and internet explorer.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran CCleaner and also tried to update both sound and video drivers but am still having the issue. Any other ideas?
Try running these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Just tried all of those scans you suggested. It came back with a message along the lines of "no files found needing repair". The problem still persists.

See if the onboard troubleshooter finds anything. Follow my screenshots to enable it:

audio1.jpg

audio 2.jpg

Hmm... I'm not sure what exact step may have done the trick, but I've managed to go a few days now without having the problem re-occur, which is the longest I've gone without it happening... probably since it started. I will tentatively say that it's been fixed. If the problem starts up again I will check back. Thanks for your help!

The scans may have helped but in any case hope all goes well.. :)

Back
Top Bottom