Windows 7 Speakers not detected even though they are plugged in, and enabled?

ihatesushi

I have Altec Lansing Speakers with no drivers that are required for its use. It is a plug and play speaker system. When I had XP my speakers worked fine. Now that I installed Windows 7 they are no longer detectable by my computer.

I have spent over 4 hours trying to figure it out myself, researched the internet with others who also have the same problem but with no resolution to their problem either.

Here is what I have been doing to try and trouble shoot this problem:

I have unplugged and replugged it.
I have tried all the connections to insure they are indeed intact.
I tried using head phones and other speakers and they are not able to be detected either. I get a message saying that my speakers are unplugged but they are clearly not.
I know there is power going to my speakers because the indicator light says so.
I checked to make sure my speakers were enabled.
I checked the settings in my system information properties and for sound information it is currently displaying my logitec webcam & microphone, and this is what the rest of it says:

Name Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Manufacturer Microsoft
Status OK
PNP Device ID MODEMWAVE\0\{DA08CA08-5430-41D7-BA1B-C528D9A70EE6}
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\modemcsa.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 18.00 KB (18,432 bytes), 13/07/2009 7:55 PM)

Name High Definition Audio Device
Manufacturer Microsoft
Status OK
PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0882&SUBSYS_10430000&REV_1001\4&9DE81E8&0&0001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudio.sys (6.1.7600.16385, 297.00 KB (304,128 bytes), 13/07/2009 7:51 PM)

I have no idea what a unimodem is since I have never seen that in my settings before and think that this might be the problem or the High Definition Audio Device. I don't know or understand what this is detecting.

When I click in my properties for my sound it only shows the High Definition Audio as headphones that are not plugged in and enabled. I tried not enabling it and such and still it won't detect my speakers.

Any help??? would be extremely appreciated.

I finally after hours of searching... I got this issue resolved. This link below will update your High Definition Audio Device ( also known as RealTek which I didn't know ) and when you install it your computer will reboot. When it does your sound will magically appear...

Link Removed due to 404 Error

If you go to this link and download the Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)

I have roughly the same problem. Unfortunately the link you provided is broken. Could you find the solution and link it again for me? I greatly appreciate it.

**Nevermind. I downloaded the drivers but unfortunately it didn't fix my issue. In my case they are not new speakers but ones I have been using for a while. They were working fine last night but after turning my computer on today they no longer work. Headphones and speakers are not detected when plugged in. There are no issues detected on my sound card. I have updated the driver on the soundcard, uninstall and reinstalled it. I tried rolling back the driver.

*sigh* I'm not sure what else to do. I've found no solutions online at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's my specs:

HP-Pavilion Model KC880AAR-ABA m9150f
Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM System type 64-bit operating system
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Storage Total size of hard disk(s) 671 GB
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
Total available graphics memory 3327 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2815 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.11.9745
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10 Network
Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Last edited:
Link not broken

Hi there the link is not broken. If you select / copy / then open in a new browser window and paste the link in the window, this will open the correct site (I just tested it).

Try doing this then get back to me and let me know. I will do my best to keep an eye out on your reply.

Yeah I realized soon after I posted that the link was broken that I didn't even try copy/pasting it into my address bar. I went to the sight and downloaded what you said fixed it for you. Unfortunately it did nothing for me.

The problem I've been having is that when I uninstall the driver it automatically updates the driver when I restart my computer. I spent a couple hours just trying to stop the computer from installing it's own driver(even after deleting the driver info). After disabling about five things I managed to stop the automatic driver install but because of all the things I had to disable I couldn't even manually install one and as soon as I re-enable some options it automatically installs a driver without a reboot. I don't even know where it's getting the drivers from since I unplugged my ethernet cable.

This is very frustrating and I have no idea what else to do. I've exhausted every option I could find online.

Re: Link not broken

Hi,
I am Priyanshu,i have windows 7 ultimate installed 64 bit.
The link is really not broken it is working.
I have roughly the same problem.
**Nevermind. I downloaded the drivers but unfortunately it didn't fix my issue.

I tried and download the software and i install it perfectly but it don't work.
My Computer is not detecting my speaker.
When i do the troubleshoot it says-hardware changes might not have been detected.

Please tell me what to do.When i have windows xp the speaker worked fine.------
IBALL Speaker
AMD graphic.
AUSU Motherboard.​

Re: Link not broken

Hiii.....I have tried the Realtek audio driver too but it is still not working ...Help me out

Back
Top Bottom