Windows 7 Sprint Sierra 597 EVDO wireless USB slim card won't install properly...

The Desolate One

2vulqqb.gif

I use the Sierra 597 USB EVDO slim card (pictured above) to connect to the internet on my laptop. I have my laptop dual booting with Windows XP and Windows 7. On W-7, when I plug in the card, it attempts to install it's networking software (comes pre-installed in the stick) into W-7. The install completes, but it also says that the install was unsuccessful because the "data integration" portion of the software (or something to that effect) could not install. I've tried to install it about 4 times, and get this same error every time. Is there anyone out there who has been able to get this particular device successfully installed on W-7? I'd like to be able to browse the net with W-7 while using my laptop for testing it's stability, but can't until I can get the Sierra card properly installed. Oh, last but not least, did a "clean" install of W-7 on partition 2 of my laptop's hard drive...

view.php

Last edited:
Same Boat

I tried the following and still was unsuccessfull;
I atttempted to install drivers manually
I went to:
C:\program files\sprint\sprint smart view\sierra package\drivers

When I pointted it to the directory driver, it seemed to complete the driver installation. However when I try to connect I still get an error message list saying :

modem port X no driver found
Serial port X no driver found
Network Adapter X no driver found

Also the Sprint Smartview window still says "No wireless device detected"

I tried the following and still was unsuccessfull;
I atttempted to install drivers manually
I went to:
C:\program files\sprint\sprint smart view\sierra package\drivers

When I pointted it to the directory driver, it seemed to complete the driver installation. However when I try to connect I still get an error message list saying :

modem port X no driver found
Network Adapter X no driver found

Also the Sprint Smartview window still says "No wireless device detected"

Louis, it gets worse. I e-mailed the Sierra wireless company and explained that the drivers that come with the card don't install properly in windows 7. He said that they have NO plans to support the beta version. He said that until the retail version is released, anyone that can't install it on windows 7 will just have to wait until the retail release. That BLOWS......

Manual installation

There was a previous thread that answered this, and I was just able to do it myself.

1. Run the install application as usual. You'll get the fail message. DON'T restart
  2. Open the device manager
  3. One by one, select "update driver" and "browse manually". Select the /ProgramFiles/Sprint/Sprint SmartView/Sierra Package
  4. Repeat 1-3 for each device entry
  5. Restart the machine
  6. Open Sprint SmartView and follow the standard procedures

They should all update. You'll get a "cant start" message for the network adapter, but ignore it.

Hi guy
these look very similar to what I actually use - the hardware is actually A HUAWEI HSDPA Modem .
I'm on Vodafone mobile Broadband - works a treat
Vodafone - Mobile Phones, Mobile Internet, Broadband & Email look at the section mobile broadband. Other providers in the UK use the same (3-mobile, O2 etc etc).

The actual driver / install program is actually contained with the device itself - when you plug one of these devices into the USB port it should show up as a CD / external drive. Browse what's on it at there's usually an install file - the Vista or standard setup.exe should work fine. After you've initially installed the software - you get about 3 or 4 Windows messages 'Installing Drivers etc' you should re-boot even if not prompted. Then you should just be able to start the Connect program and away you go.

These are VERY VERY popular here in Europe for people on the go -- especially here where the more expensive hotels also charge a Fortune to use their Internet connections (wireless or lan).

If you do get it going speeds are quite OK --the 3G (Turquoise lcd will show on device) is around 3 - 4 mbs perfectly fast enough for most mobile Internet applications, connections to remote comnputers, office VPN's etc etc.
If coverage gets patchy then our system drops down to the slower GPRS system and the light will change to green -- this is much slower but still ok for email and basic net browsing.

I'm using both Windows 7 X-64 and X-32. Build 7000 just for info. I've done the Windows update but the device worked "right from the off" on both systems.

cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
There was a previous thread that answered this, and I was just able to do it myself.

1. Run the install application as usual. You'll get the fail message. DON'T restart
  2. Open the device manager
  3. One by one, select "update driver" and "browse manually". Select the /ProgramFiles/Sprint/Sprint SmartView/Sierra Package
  4. Repeat 1-3 for each device entry
  5. Restart the machine
  6. Open Sprint SmartView and follow the standard procedures

They should all update. You'll get a "cant start" message for the network adapter, but ignore it.

Norcross, thanks for that info. IT WORKED! I went into the device manager and basically updated the driver for every single driver that was marked as not being installed. I even tried the ones that don't even have anything to do with the internet, just to be sure. Those of course didn't work, but the ones that applied to the Sierra card all installed perfectly. After installing all of them, I then rebooted the computer and plugged in the card. It said the same "installing new drivers" message, but THIS time, when it said that, a few seconds later, it said "all drviers installed successfully, then I ran the smart start program, hit "connect" and it logged right onto the service. Thanks a LOT for posting that info man! I really appreciatd it, plus you helped those other people that were having the same problem.

FINALLY, IT WORKS! 597 Compass is operational on WIN7

Got it working just as described the previous posts. After the software installation is completed, Each device that appears in Device manager with an problem, has to be installed manually with the "update driver" option with the network adapter being installed last. Thank youvery much JF!!

Thanks Norcross. I use a UTStarcom UM175 to connect to the Alltel network. The dialer software installed fine, but not the drivers. I'd get a message saying "incompatible operating system."

Although I didn't follow your instructions precisely, they helped me figure out a solution.

Before plugging in the device, I went to Program Files/Alltel/Quick Link Mobile/drivers and installed the drivers using the Vista compatibility mode. When I plugged in the USB device, it was immediately recognized and installed.

So now I have one more way to connect.

I felt like I had to run the setup file in the drivers folder so there would be drivers for the wireless card. I was prepared to install each item manually as you and others have done, but that proved unnecessary in this case.

Still, without your instructions - and the success of others - I don't think I would have even looked for drivers.

So thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom