Windows 10 Ssh help please

LT72884

Ok, after 6 months of no internet, we finally got internet at our apt complex. Its not the best, but hey, better than no internet haha. We got CenturyLink

Ok, i know port forwarding works because i have a rule setup for tcp on 25565, allowing my friends public ip into my game server. It works just fine. Easy to setup. Did not need to do anything with firewall or anything else, just the port rule.

So now, i have bitvise ssh for win 10 setup on my machine. The server is listening on port 5022. I setup the port forward rule for tcp, port 5022, allow all. Try to connect. Nothing.

I try locally, amd it works just fine using keys and username. I have tried other random port numbers and nothing.

However, it works over hamachi, but thats not what i want. I need it to work through the router. I have added a firewall rule kn win 10, the router, an application rule in the router and still no go. Only once did a port scanner say poet 5022 was open AND bitvise shows that it connected for the port scanner. However, that only worked once or twice, now when i scan... timeout.

What else could be going on?

No other device in between the router either. I need this so i can access my files from school please

Thanks

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Have you tried to connect to the SSH server from different devices?
What model is that router?

Yes, i tried from 3 other laptops.

Its a zyxle c3000 router.

Maybe they have something blocked in the header field of the ssh, like some sort of flag that tells the router its ssh service, even if its on another port. But yet they allow ssh remote control of the router?? So confused.

I have never run into this issue. I have always gotten ssh to work

Did you allow the rule under Windows Firewall?

You might have a rule already established under Windows Firewall that allows the orher programs or applications because the installation process did that step automatically for you when it installed.

If you need your files for school why not create a VPN this is essentially what you are attempting to do by opening a tcp/ip listening port on #5022...

Ask your professor if the school has a VPN setup or a VPN application that you can use to safely navigate between your network and theirs.

They might have security measures in place that may not allow you to do that.

IMHO, I would purchase a portable Seagate 5TB hard drive on Amazon.com, find a bulk file copier program (there are free ones out there) and copy all of your files that you need for school onto it.

This way you accomplish two things:

A] You have a much needed backup of your files (never hurts to have redundancy so long as you sync the two drives from time to time)

B] It is A LOT faster (and A LOT more secure) to have the files locally than accessing them remotely and someone hijacking your work (IF your not end-to-end encrypted through a VPN tunnel.

Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe《♤》

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

☆☆☆ 》Tapatalk users: 《☆☆☆

If you like my post & I was helpful -- PLEASE consider giving KIN...
Yes, i wrote a rule in windows firewall:)

I did mention it works through hamachi vpn, but the school doesnt allow that, nor do i want to configure my server to play well with their vpn service and visa versa.

I need it to work so i can access the files from school, work, parents house, friends, phone.

When i had comcast, it worked just fine, but comcast is not an option at this moment.

I would use a portable hdd, but they have been stolen before. Yes, faster, but i need the ssh server to work.

Thanks

Try these steps HowToGeek.com:

The short link is: How to Enable and Use Windows 10’s New Built-in SSH Commands

This will bring you to how to re-configure the OpenSsh under Windows 10. Make sure you have the April 2018 Update or later of Windows 10 installed The latest is October 2019 Update.

Cheers!

Done that before but disnt like it in the past. I have used bitvise server for over a year now with no issues until i switched ISP's.

Thanks

Have you tried a DDNS (Dynamic DNS IP) address?

Goto noip.com and give it a try. Maybe with Bitvise and noip.com you will get it to work...

Looks simple enough.

Cheers!

Oh, yes. Thanks for that. I did that last night. Thanks for reminding me haha.

Still will not connect. But everyother service will. My game server works just fine haha

Is the bitvise worth the $100 for the server? Are the clients free?

Cheers!

I use the personal edition which is free and all clients are free. Its sipper easy to use.

Last edited:
When you say "Hamachi" do you mean a different router?
If it works with a different router than the problem is not Windows rules.

Have you tried to use the normal port for SSH, 22?

Have you checked the firewall settings of the router as in this tutorial?
Configure IPv4 Firewall on your ZyXEL C3000Z | CenturyLink Internet Help
Hamachi is a free vpn service to create tunnels between two computers.

I have followed that exact tutorial before even posting here and still no go. I have tried ssh on different ports and still no go. I have added application rules, port rules, firewall rules both in windows and the router and still cant connect

When i had Xfinity service, this was super easy to do. Had no issues. Ssh used to work until i switched to CenturyLink as my isp

I personally think CenturyLink is blocking it at the application layer

I did not read all the replies, but I did see you mentioned you're trying to access this from your school. Have you spoken with the schools IT department. There is a good chance they block unusual ports (5022) at the perimeter firewall or even ssh traffic (depending on which type of firewalls they use).

Have you tried accessing your home ssh server from another public location (such as a coffee shop with less restricted traffic)?

I did not read all the replies, but I did see you mentioned you're trying to access this from your school. Have you spoken with the schools IT department. There is a good chance they block unusual ports (5022) at the perimeter firewall or even ssh traffic (depending on which type of firewalls they use).

Have you tried accessing your home ssh server from another public location (such as a coffee shop with less restricted traffic)?
Yes, i have tried from other locations besides my house and the school:)

Ohhh, when im home later today, ill try my phone. I used to use my phone all the time with Andftp to connect to the ssh server. But im willing to bet it doesnt work. Even ssh through port 25565 doesnt work, but yet i can connect to my game server and so can my friends via port 25565. So i know the port forward works for my router.

That is certainly possible
Wouldnt surprise me with CenturyLink haha. I know xfinity doesn't because it actually worked haha.

My only options are vpn, or ssh reverse with a vps but both options puts the server outside of my control

Back