Windows 10 SSMYPICS.SCR: XP screen-saver slide show. Good improvements, but one serious mistake.

BudVitoff

Honorable Member
(Admin: If this really belongs in the XP forum, please move it; but there have been other changes made to this feature in Win10, and it’s something we’d like to see fixed in Win10)

I know it’s a bit late for this, but we didn’t know that the one thing we’ve been looking for has been there since XP: The option to display the filepath for the picture currently showing.

Another change they made was to always shuffle the display, inside of making it optional. That was fine with us, since we always opted for shuffling anyway.

Unfortunately they took a major step backwards with the left-arrow effect. In the old (Photos) setting, the left-arrow allowed you to step back through the screens prior to the current screen, in the reverse order of what actually appeared. In the new (My Pictures Slideshow), they apparently just continued the random (shuffling) effect. This means that in order to grab the filepath of the current picture, you either have to be sitting right at the computer, or set the slide show speed to an unreasonably long value so that you could scoot across the room to stop the action before the screen changed.

Is there any hope that this mistake can be undone?

I wouldn't call it a mistake. I would call it a design decision and knowing Microsoft it could be changed or removed at anytime.

A little mystery here: In the email I received telling me about a reply to this post, it quoted the reply as "Considering it's from XP it's unlikely it will be changed." I don't know why that doesn't show up here, but my answer to that is:

This program seems to have been adapted to Vista, 7, 8, and 10, so somebody is keeping an eye on it. Why wouldn't it get changed?

And my thoughts are that it was a mistake for them to have made that decision. :mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom