Windows 7 Standard user not allowed to run Backup ?

rickh

HI - I'm building a W7 PRo PC for a local club and want to lock down the PC. I have setup an Admin account, and set the main user account as a Standard account.

I also want them to be able to use W7 Backup/Restore to backup the Standard Users "My Documents" folder to memory stick on a weekly basis. However, Backup/Resore will only run:

1. From the Administrator account , or

2. When executed from the Standard account it requests the administrator Password.

So in other words, it appears that for a Standard user to run a backup they need Admin rights? Kind of defeats the purpose of having a Standard account in this scenario.

Is there any way to confer specific "rights" to a User account or Profile to access/execute specific programs? In this case allow a Standard User account the normal access, plus Backup/Restore (only) with conferred Admin rights?

Cheers ... Rick

I don't have a standard user account, so I can only guess. But I can open Backup and Restore without elevated privileges. Once it is open, it will normally backup files from all users, which a standard user should not be able to do.

You can customize the backups to include just one user's files. You might check to see if that would allow for a specific user to backup their files only.

Or setup just a scheduled backup for the entire system so they do not have to worry about it.

Back