Windows 7 Start bar problem

Jetpac

I want to use the start bar with small icons, however if i have it at the top in particular i get left with this "Shadow" from the full bar version as can be seen here:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

If i then move the bar from the top to one of the sides the shadow stays there and gives an upside down "L" Shape.
How on earth can i stop this from happening? Its really driving me a bit to despair!

(xposted as i posted in the wrong forum originally)

Could you give me some details on your computer specs, especially the video card.

Did this occur immediately after installing or did you make any major changes or add new software lately?

it started when i moved the bar to the top of the screen i think (ive had 7 installed less than 24 hrs)

Comp specs:

Core 2 1.86ghz
2Gb Ram
ATI x1900XT graphics

Have you tried moving the bar back down to the bottom or side.

After installing did you get any updates from Windows Update for your graphics card?

have you checked ATI's site for updated drivers?

Windows updated the drivers AFAIK, the newest drivers from the ATI site wont install.
if i move to the side a black bar still remains, in fact if i move it anywhere i still get it.

Try restarting in Safe Mode, wait until Windows fully loads, then restart normally.

This used to reset the taskbar in previous versions of Windows.
Not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try.

By the way, what was the exact error message you received when trying to install drivers from ATI's site.

To view you list of Windows Updates, go to Control panel > Windows Update and click the View Update history link on the left side.

Try restarting in Safe Mode, wait until Windows fully loads, then restart normally.

This used to reset the taskbar in previous versions of Windows.
Not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try.

By the way, what was the exact error message you received when trying to install drivers from ATI's site.

To view you list of Windows Updates, go to Control panel > Windows Update and click the View Update history link on the left side.

no error message, except from within the catalyst installer.
cant remember waht it is exactly but its something like not the right device etc. the installer just wont instal the drivers. there is no ATI update listed in the update history. Thhe Device manager says i have driver version 8.561.13 provided by ATI technologies Inc.

Did you try restarting Safe mode as I suggested?

Ello sorryi had to go away unexpectedly this week :p
ive trid restarting in safe and it still is coming up with this black bar, its really quite annoying now!

it will only appear on the left or top of the screen, if you unlock the taskbar and make it larger the "Ghost" area grows as well once you move the task bar back to its normal size.

I had this same problem, But after I did a clean install from 7100 to 7127 it no longer happens, i would suggest doing a clean install as there is no known fixfor this problem yet.

I had this same problem, But after I did a clean install from 7100 to 7127 it no longer happens, i would suggest doing a clean install as there is no known fixfor this problem yet.

I did a clean install when i went from vista business to 7.

Jetpac.

Has to be a driver uissue then.

Could you give me your motherboard make and model?

PC Specs:

Core 2 E6300 1.86ghz
Gigabyte 965P-
DS3
2gb Corsair DDR2-6400
ATI 1900 XT

no man i meant completely re install windows 7, its what i had to do, and it worked perfectly,

also there was something i wished to enquire about, sometimes when i pin items to the task bar the items icon gets corrupt, can anyone tell my why this is?

example; sometimes if i pin items such as Windows Live Messenger/Itunes/ Safari Browser to the task bar, the icon gets corrupt and shows up as a blank page with items on it, the windows default, but if i unpin the item it goes back to the usual icon, but the same happens if i pin it again?

sorry if that doesnt make sense.

note: im using windows 7 64-bit build 7127

thanks for any help.

So are you now dual-booting Vista and Windows 7?

New Catalyst drivers to be released tomorrow.

Check this thread

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-rumors-news/5627-catalyst-9-5-tomorrow-2.html#post28164

Nope i am only single booting 7 32-bit.
Just installed the 9.5 drivers and still having problem. i had to select one of the HD cards as the 1900 didn't appear under the drivers list for windows 7 on the AMD site. i dont think they installed properly as steam is still reporting driver to be 8.14 or something.

Last edited:
OK,

I just remembered after you stated HD, that those were the drivers that would use the Windows 7 drivers.

I'm sure they'll have drivers for your card as long as it isn't antique or discontinued.

OK,

I just remembered after you stated HD, that those were the drivers that would use the Windows 7 drivers.

I'm sure they'll have drivers for your card as long as it isn't antique or discontinued.

There are no drivers listed under windows 7 for the x1900xt
there are vista drivers up to 9.3 i think after that it is unsupported, however 7 will not let me install the 9.3 drivers.

Back
Top Bottom