Windows 7 startup/ booting into safemode problems

heavyyy

Hey guys, New to these forums and any help would be appreciated. Yesterday i dropped my laptop on the ground and it seems to have shaken up my hard drive.

Originally it would not boot at all but after trying a couple of times I got it to start normally into windows once. I read somewhere that it took so long because there were probably so many errors from the hard drive. Fair enough seeing how it was in Windows already i did a chkdsk to check the hard drive for problems. CHKDSK said that it would need to do so at the next restart.

On the next restart CHKDSK ran and froze in stage 4. After restarting and trying several times skipping CHKDSK would cause the system to freeze and not responding after the message disc checking has been skipped.

Seeing now how I can't get my computer to boot or get around the CHKDSK. I tried booting in safe mode. Doing this normally/ with networking/ with command prompt would cause it to freeze at loading CLASSPNP.SYS.

Next I tried startup repair. It loaded into a menu where it had these options like memory management/startup repair and whatnot. Running the cmd prompt and trying to shutdown the CHKDSK scheduled I tried chkntfs /x c: which is supposed to cancel scheduled disk checks also i tried this Chkdsk.exe or Autochk.exe starts when you try to shut down or restart your computer method 2 by typing regedt32 and trying to find the folder to modify. however under session manager there is no bootexecute folder.

Lastly, under this cmd prompt it runs as X:\windows\system32\drivers which i'm guessing is just some boot partition. strangely it cannot access c: the drive where everything is held, but e: contains everything c: should. Regardless I tried to copy classpnp.sys from the x:\windows\system32\drivers into e:\windows\system32\drivers
to see if I could boot into safe mode. Didn't work

Sorry for the wall of text but I was wondering if I should just scrap this and buy a new notebook harddrive or reinstall windows or if there is a solution?

Thanks for any help

Dropping the unit may have caused mechanical damage to the drive. Do you hear any out of the normal coming from the drive during chkdsk, especially where it tends to lockup?

You may want to try a bootable partition manager like Partition Wizard to look at the drive. Perhaps it could recover some files or repair a damaged partition.

I'm guessing it has some damage for sure. But it boot up once after the fall. Chkdsk doesn't report any errors only freezes at stage 4. Skipping Chkdsk also causes it to freeze. Would you know anything about why chkntfs /x fails and why there is no registry entry so I can stop autochk?

Your comments about no C: but E: makes me wonder how the chkntfs command should be given.. Is E: your DVD drive?

Have you tried the chkntfs C: or chkntfs e: , it is supposed to give a message about the status of the volume and whether chkdsk is scheduled or the volume is dirty and should be scheduled. If it can't read C: at all, I would think additional procedures might be required.

Do you have any external, or extra internal drives, or any flash drives plugged in?

I am no expert on these types of operations, so use your own best judgment, but I would go ahead and download and burn the Partition Manager so you can look at the drive from outside the OS.

i'll go ahead and try the partition manager. Running the cmd from startup repair util I get x:\windows\system32 as the first line. so i'm guessing the that x: is some boot partition. doing chkntfs c,e returns it is ntfs. doing a chkntfs /x c: e: returns it is ntfs and doesn't acknowledge anything. doing a fsutil says c is not dirty. additionally checking the registry there isn't a folder where the autochk should be all these seem to be indicating that the chkdsk isn't scheduled to be run at all. except it does run when booted up normally and will fail no matter what

Have you tried any of the other repair options, such as startup repair? If you have done so, there is supposed to be a file deposited ( %WINDIR%\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt) that contains information about the repair session. If you can find that it might help direct you to a better explanation of your problem. An explanation of the repair process is on this Microsoft site.

The X: volume is where the repair process puts the files in memory it needs. I cannot remember what that process is called right now.

Back