Windows 7 Startup Repair at boot. Can't get to desktop.

aaron360

I used windows update and updated my nividia 9600 drivers and now for the past couple days I have been unable to reach my desktop. It boots to startup repair and does a short scan then finally says it was unable to help will either shut down, restart or scan again. I've DL'd a vista repair to restore but it doesn't have any restore points and I was able to get onto a DE language linux version of my computer but haven't been able to fix it there, partly cus i cant read most of what im seeing. Please! I need help. I'm not a a huge wiz computer person but i can do alittle more than the basics. Please help. Thank you.

I'm having the same issue. After installing the windows updates today (10 February 2010), i have not been able to boot my laptop up.
It comes on with the startup repair everytime. I'm running windows 7 Home Premium 32bit. I have no idea what to do.

If you hit F8, do you have the option to use basic video, or boot to safe mode and change the video driver?

Windows updated my Video driver once in Vista, so I have the optional updates set to ask before installing.

I get the option to press F9 - Boot Device Menu or F10 - ROM Based Set Up. I've had a look through and found nothing to change the video driver. It won't let me boot at all, cant get past the start up repair.

Last edited:
Does the thing ever stop long enough for you to hit Shift+F10 and open a command window?

Will it let you boot to the Install DVD or repair CD?

The startup repair just repeats over and over without doing anything. It may take several times for it to repair, if it even is trying.

If you can think of something to break the cycle, give it a try.

I can get to a command prompt window, but i don't know what to do there. i have the install dvd but i can't see any option to repair on it, only the same startup repair that i am currently stuck on, and it does exactly the same thing.
Thanks for your help so far, it is much appreciated.

I said before that F8 does nothing, I was wrong, it does. It gives me "Advanced Boot Options".
I can't start up in safe mode, it still gives me the problem. I also tried to boot with low-resolution video
(640x480) and had no joy either.

These are the problem details that Startup Repair is giving me:-

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21201015
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 39
Problem Signature 07: CorruptFile
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

My problem is I have not encountered your situation, so I have not been able to test how to get out. I might suggest some things, but it could cause other problems for your system.

So, this is up to you. If you do not want to take a chance, do not do this.

Boot to the Install DVD, go to the second page and choose repair. After it does its thing, go to a command prompt and type the following and hit enter after.

Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot

Close the window and try a reboot. All I can think to do is to try to break the rebooting loop. I do not know where the reboot requirement is kept, so I do not know how to get rid of it.

If you can get anywhere with a command prompt you might also try typing explorer.exe, or taskmgr.exe, or msconfig.exe to see if you can get something running you can use to change the boot options.

I will also pass this along just in case it might help. I have not tried and it does seem to be for Vista, but Win 7 and Vista are almost the same.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Hi Saltgrass,
thanks again for your time and effort.
I had no joy with any of your suggestions other than taskmgr.exe. this brought up the task manager window.
The Apllications running are:-
System Recovery Options
The processes that are running are:-
csrss.exe
RecEnv.exe
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
winpeshl.exe
I don't know what to do from here though.

Thanks

Glynn

Last edited:
Glynn Buxton;135971 The Apllications running are:- System Recovery Options The processes that are running are:- csrss.exe RecEnv.exe taskmgr.exe winlogon.exe winpeshl.exe [/QUOTE said:
Using Taskmgr, try starting a new task like explorer.exe or msconfig.exe. Maybe we can find something in one of those to use.

The RecEnv.exe is interesting. Stopping that process may be related to the reboots or your current condition. You might try shutting it down if you can't open any utilities using taskmgr.

I will do some testing to see if I can find other utilities to use to fix your problem.

Edit: I booted my normal system and got the advanced options menu. It sounds nothing here will work but you did try the "Last Known Good Configuration"? If you can get to that one, of course..

Last edited:
Explorer.exe and msconfig.exe were not recognised when i tried to start new tasks.
When i stopped recenv.exe it just restarted the computer and back to startup repair.

I've tried last known good configuration and restored the computer back to its earliest restore point.
I put a brand new hard drive in at the beginning of january and brought windows 7 to go on it.

Just been reading around and it looks like it might have been a problem with the windows update security patch KB KB977165. Although this doesn't help me at all as it means nothing to me.

Last edited:
I can think of nothing else and not found anything on the net that would seem to help.

But to make sure, I will go over some of the possibilities and give the reponse you gave, as I understand it.

You can use the F8 key to get to a "Advanced Boot Options" menu..

You cannot use boot to safe mode or safe mode with command prompt....

Last know configuration does not work.....

"Repair you Computer" takes you to a startup repair that just ends in a reboot again.

Running Bootrec /fixmbr and Bootrec /fixboot from the command prompt do complete, but do not work.

You can get taskmgr to run, but you can't start other utilities, even if you check the run as admin box, if you have one.

I would suggest you repost the thread and explain you used an old thread to post and reference this thread and say you were advised to repost in a newer thread. Maybe someone else will see it and have an answer. I will keep researching, but I don't hold out much hope..

Glynn did you get your's fixed?

I have a similiar issue. the probem details are:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21203906
Problem Signature 05: autofailover
Problem Signature 06: 24
Problem Signature 07: 0xf4
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

when i "view advanced options for system recovery and support", before I had like 5 options, the last one being command prompt. Now, it only has 1 system recovery option - "startup repair"

Also, I have a mini, with the disk drive. can i download something on an USB to insert? or connect it to another computer using a cable? I have no clue ! thank you

Re: Glynn did you get your's fixed?

Glynn I have the exact same problem. I would really like to know if you have ever got yours fixed. Please reply!

please help i need my computer fixed as fast as posssible it wont let me restore it just gos dirrectly to the startup repair... really annoying. i dont know how i got it but i was just searching on google when all of a sudden my computer restarted on its own and went dirrectly to the start up repair it will boot F8 menu but when ever i try to use it just gos to start up repair please help as soon as you can

please help i need my computer fixed as fast as posssible it wont let me restore it just gos dirrectly to the startup repair... really annoying. i dont know how i got it but i was just searching on google when all of a sudden my computer restarted on its own and went dirrectly to the start up repair it will boot F8 menu but when ever i try to use it just gos to start up repair please help as soon as you can
Have you tried booting your computer from a Windows 7 Repair Disk?
If you don't have one you can download one from our Link Removed due to 404 Error obtain the appropriate ISO for your architecture (32 or 64bit) burn the ISO to a CD and boot your machine from that (may require configuring BIOS 1st boot device to CD).
Select your language and keyboard options
Link Removed due to 404 Error
Select your install
You can attempt a Startup Repair from there ( some report that it can take as many as three times)
You can also attempt a system restore from there (some report success using this option from the Repair Disk)
Or from the command prompt option you can attempt other more advanced recovery techniques such as using the Bootrec.exe utility How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

Back
Top Bottom