Windows 7 strage problems with icons :(

hadi4u

Hi there,

I have legal windows 7 & I had a problem with the activation, but I solved it already.

The problem I am facing right now is with the icons…

If I use my computer for long time I notice that any page I open in my computer doesn’t show the icons unless I use the (small icon) or (list)

If I try to see icons in an extra large size or even large size I don’t see any of them & all I can see is the name of the icon.

One more thing that if I stay long then I click on (computer) it doesn’t show any of my drivers or sometimes takes sooooo long for the green bar on top to finish then show me the icons

All those problems go if I restart my computer

Can anyone help me ASAP please??? L

Hadi

I'm thinking:-
1) Corrupt iconcache. Delete and re-boot. (C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local). iconcache.db is, by default, a hidden file.
2) Corrupt thumbs cache. Delete through Disk Clean Up. As above, re-boot.

Note on the second option you may get the "green loading bar" behind/in the address bar as the cache is being rebuilt.

My money is mainly on option 2, as large icons are actually the compressed png image installed as part of the icon, not an ico image.

A third possibility (if third party software icon) is that the max size contained in the ico file is 48 x 48 pixels.

Last edited:
Not sure what your problem could be, but I think you've received a bad copy of windows 7 which is possible as it is software. As of right now, I don't know how to correct the error, but I'm looking into it for you!

@Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks a lot.
I'll check with these 2 points. Currently I'm using picassa as explorer for picture & video files :). The problem is not coming in details or list views. So at least I can work if I don't choose iconic views.

When the problem comes and slowly explorer started to hang, I need to shut it down. At the time of shutdown one msg comes very fast and then machine shut downs. I could not read it properly as it appears and disappears so fast. But seems to me there is something running and now it's forcefully shutting it down.

Last edited:
@
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks a lot for the reply. It also may be the case that it's a bad copy as it comes with preloaded. In that case I'll try to reload it once again. But that's the last resort.
Currently managing with picassa as the problem is for pictures & videos on iconic view.

@elmer
u r right on target. The option 2 was the cause. It's resolved now.
Thanks again.

Ron

I'm thinking:-
1) Corrupt iconcache. Delete and re-boot. (C:\Users\Elmer B. Fuddled\AppData\Local). iconcache.db is, by default, a hidden file.
2) Corrupt thumbs cache. Delete through Disk Clean Up. As above, re-boot.

Note on the second option you may get the "green loading bar" behind/in the address bar as the cache is being rebuilt.

My money is mainly on option 2, as large icons are actually the compressed png image, not an ico image.

A third possibility (if third party) is that the max size contained in the ico file is 48 x 48 pixels.

Back
Top Bottom