Windows 7 Sudden BSOD while browsing

Vishw4ever

I've been facing BSOD crashes for the past 3 months which occur mostly during browsing through flash content or pages with lots of data to load & sometimes even while the PC is in standby mode.

Replacing memory modules & changing DIMM slots had provided some respite for a week or so, later on, the random BSODs started occurring more frequently.
Apart from few instances where tdx.sys & ki1.sys have been displayed while BS memory dumping, most of the times no specific service has been identified.

Attached the diagnostic ZIP file which includes screen shots of CPU-Z tabs & RAMMon HTML report.

PC Config: MSI 890GXM-G65 mb, AMD Phenom II X2 550, 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, Seagate 1TB Barracuda HDD, ATI HD4290 On-board graphic support. Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 11 & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO 1.70 are the antivirus programs installed in my PC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Vishw4ever.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 286
Wouldn't recommend changing DIMM slots - your motherboard/RAM/both may be configured to run only on certain slot numbers.
I'm not a RAM expert, but I'd recommend using RAM sticks that have:
The same latency
The same clock speed
Preferably the same manufacturer
(If they are, it won't hurt to recheck)

Kapersky AntiVirus has, in my experience as a BSOD debugger, caused many crashes before.
I'd recommend:
Fully uninstalling Kapersky.
Installing Microsoft Security Essentials.

Of course, feel free to reinstall Kapersky once the problem is fixed - if the problem is with Kapersky, use MSE or McAfee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your C:\ Drive has 23.44 GB free of 180 GB, which is about 13%.
Your D:\ Drive has 12.13 GB free of 29.29 GB - OK.
Your E:\ Drive has 31.56 GB free of 244.14 GB, which is about 13%.
Try to maintain, at the very least, 20% of free space on each drive.

Also run Disk Defragmenter (Start > Search > "Disk Defragmenter").
Analyze each disk - if it's more than 5% fragmented, defrag it.

Also run Disk Cleanup (Start > Search > "Disk Cleanup").
Select drive (C:).
Select them all, and then click "Clean up system files".
Repeat with each of your drives.

You can also try installing CCleaner - CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download
Run it, and clean each of your drives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft PS/2 Mouse This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
Virtual PC Host Bus Driver This device is disabled.
Deskjet 3050 J610 series This device is disabled.
TAP-Win32 Adapter OAS This device is disabled.
TAP-Win32 Adapter OAS #2 This device is disabled.
TAP-Win32 Adapter OAS #3 This device is disabled.
Make sure all drivers are up to date and working for those devices.

Problems:

Search Indexer -
I'm guessing you can't use your search bar? (Should read this first, then)
I'm really not sure of a way around this, unless:
Fix:
Boot into Safe Mode (F8 before Windows Logo, choose Safe Mode)
Go to Start Menu, then Search: Indexing Options.
[IF THIS FAILS AT THIS STEP, REPORT BACK]
Select "Modify".
Cut it down. A good default would be just indexing "Start Menu" and "Users" (as in, uncheck everything else.
Retry the problem in Normal Windows.

Firefox -
Reinstall Firefox
Update Network Drivers
Reset Modem
Check your firewall

Bandwidth Monitor -
???
I guess -
Update Network Drivers
Reset Modem
Check your firewall
???

Spooling -
Manages spooled printing/fax jobs (lets you print/fax from your computer without getting your computer to become slow)
Uninstall your Printer
Try testing a different Printer
Check your Printer Drivers are up to date and working.

Free Download Manager -
Uninstall this.

Nero Control Center -
Try:
Reinstalling the relative devices/software.
Uninstalling the relative devices/software.

Internet Explorer -
Has been reported to be using up a lot of people's RAM/CPU.
Please.
Use a different browser.
Opera, Safari, FireFox, Chrome (of course, if the firefox problem stated above is anything, don't use it)

Apple Mobile Device Service -
Known to be hogging up to 50% of people's CPU capacity.
Try:
Reinstalling iTunes.
Restoring WinSock Catalog -
1. Open Command Prompt with Administrator's Privileges (Run a Command as Administrator from the Windows 7 / Vista Run box - How-To Geek)
2. Type in -
Code:
netsh winsock reset
3. Reboot Windows.
4. Retest.

You have:
Daemon Tools installed - known to cause BSOD's, so remove it.
HotSpot Shield - You don't need so many AntiVirus softwares installed - use one like Microsoft Security Essentials or McAfee.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's all I've got down at the moment - I haven't got my minidump analyzer with me for another 2 or 3 weeks, so for your other files, I can't help. Sorry if that causes any inconvenience, however I'm hoping that someone else can come along and help analyze your minidumps.

^^ That last part being a quoted message I'm now putting on all my posts, until later.

Thank u GH very much for the timely response.

Right after I posted my query there was another BSOD, so out of curiosity, I tried to find I any of my memory modules is to be blamed for this & ran Memtest86+ for almost 8 passes on each of my memory modules which resulted in 1 module being faulty. Could that be 1 of the many reasons to blame for BSOD?

& yes both modules have same latency, speed & had same manufacturer's logo on them. I'll try to reinstall Kaspersky Security Suite CBE. Does Kaspersky's Internet Security also tend to crash out or is it the case only with its antivirus software?

I need to free up my C: drive which hosts Windows 7, but the drive u pointed out to has Oracle DB required for my SAP IDE in it, so there is nothing I can do to free it. Any suggestions regarding this will help.

Ill update those drivers u pointed out at the earliest. There is no issue regarding the Search box, I use it all the time. It works gud enough to locate required files. I'll take ur advice & try to repair it.

Usually I don't leave services running when I don't need them. The Print Spooler service is run manually to avoid eating up physical memory. Latest drivers of the Deskjet printer have been installed provided by HP. Same is the case with Free Download Manager & Apple Mobile Service(run manually). FDM for large files that support resume functionality & Apple's service only when an Apple product is connected. Will remove Nero software.

I rarely use IE9 which is pre-installed on Windows 7. Preferred browsers are FF & Chrome. Will try re-installing iTunes. Hotspot Shield is disabled most of the time & only run to access blocked sites in my region.

I'll update a diagnostic once I complete all the steps u suggested.

Last edited:
About to leave so I'll be leaving just answers at the moment -

if you found an error, that would most likely be a contributing factor to the bsod.

Ive experienced problems with both Kaparsky's AV and Suite - try reinstalling it first, then/or uninstalling it if you still experience crashes.

as for the other drive, use disk defragmenter and disk cleanup on it.

all the other drivers/services that I pointed to, they're just things I've had experiences with, or things that the MSINFO32 points out - there may not be any problem with them at all.

I agree in dealing with that bad RAM. The crashdumps so far aren't entirely solid, but they do show a pattern of kernel code corruption, which often stem from RAM issues. However, an AV like Kaspersky can cause the same problem, especially Kaspersky, as it uses a kernel patching method isn't all that clean, last I've read up on it. Regardless, Memtest finding bad RAM is gonna be a major factor in this, especially if that RAM stick happens to be sitting in one of the last slots (since kernel code sits at top of RAM range). Remove the offending module then test for stability. If stable, purchase a replacement module, otherwise it may be an unsupported RAM configuration/model for that motherboard or the board itself is bad.

Analysts:

3 crashdumps report 0x109 bugchecks (kernel corruption), not much else you can do with them. Other one mentions the illegal instruction which was caused by code corruption. Kl1.sys Kaspersky driver is present in the thread's callstack, and it is dated Jun 9 2010, which puts some red flags against it, but the corruption seems hardware-based in that it's a single bit flip (a single bit has been inadvertently zeroed) in kernel code. This is more conducive of hardware problems than software. The Memtest run detecting a bad RAM module convicts RAM.

Code:
CHKIMG_EXTENSION: !chkimg -lo 50 -d !tdx
    fffff88001c06384 - tdx!TdxDeleteTransportAddress+164
    [ c1:c5 ]
1 error : !tdx (fffff88001c06384)

Thank you Vir & GH for definite inputs. The faulty RAM module is being replaced with the reseller. Will tinker with Kaspersky after I get the replacement & see if BSOD crashes occur again.

Back
Top Bottom