Windows 7 Sysprep Fails After Deployment With: Windows could not finish configuring the system....

scj6771

Getting the message after Sysprep stating "Sysprep Fails After Deployment With: Windows could not finish configuring the system...."

This is a new out-of-box Lenovo T530 laptop, it came pre-loaded with Windows 7 Pro.

I pulled laptop from box and inserted our Windows 7 Pro SP 1 disk and installed our copy. I then configured all settings and applications under "audit mode", created an "Unattend.xml" file using the WSIM, and copied that file into the Sysprep folder and ran "Sysprep /shutdown /oobe /generalize /unattend:unattend.xml"

The error message appears after I image drive using Ghost GSS 11.5.1.2266. (I'm assuming the error would appear after boot-up regardless of imaging the machine)

I have read numerous articles regarding this error and have also disabled the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" as suggested by many. I'm also assuming that the "Hotfix" for this issue does not apply since I am installing SP1.

I am able to boot into the machine after attempting to boot into "safe mode" first (as suggested by many users), however once in, it looks as if the XML file is completely ignored.
Could it be related to the SSD drive in these laptops?

So I decided to completely reinstall Win 7 Pro, add drivers needed and Sysprep using the same Unattend.xml file I created, it now comes back with an error after sysprep stating it doesn't like the "amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup__neutral" pass under "specialize".

It then states it has to reboot and when it does it comes back with an error about "unexpected error" and "windows installation cannot proceed" and to "restart the installation"??

I did manage to Shift+F10 into a command prompt and copy the "setupact.log" and the "setuperr.log" from the "C:\Windows\Panther" folder, it seems to complain about a product key which is not listed in the xml file, so not sure whats up with that.

2012-11-08 00:39:16, Error [Shell Unattend] ProductKey: '' installation failed (0x80070057)
2012-11-08 00:40:18, Error [windeploy.exe] Setup.exe failed, returning exit code [0x1f]
2012-11-08 00:40:18, Error [windeploy.exe] Failure occured during online installation. Online installation cannot complete at this time.; hr = 0x80004005
2012-11-08 01:10:25, Error [windeploy.exe] Setup.exe failed, returning exit code [0x1f]
2012-11-08 01:10:25, Error [windeploy.exe] Failure occured during online installation. Online installation cannot complete at this time.; hr = 0x80004005
2012-11-08 01:12:53, Error [windeploy.exe] Setup.exe failed, returning exit code [0x1f]
2012-11-08 01:12:53, Error [windeploy.exe] Failure occured during online installation. Online installation cannot complete at this time.; hr = 0x80004005
2012-11-08 01:13:24, Error [windeploy.exe] Failure occured during online installation. Online installation cannot complete at this time.; hr = 0x8007000a
2012-11-08 01:33:11, Error [windeploy.exe] Setup.exe failed, returning exit code [0x1f]
2012-11-08 01:33:11, Error [windeploy.exe] Failure occured during online installation. Online installation cannot complete at this time.; hr = 0x80004005
I do have the "Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" under "generalize" for the "CopyProfile" and "ComputerName" settings but I left the "ProductKey" setting blank. (which I believe could be caussing the issue?)

So my next question is what key would I place in there? I have an MAK and KMS license (Open License).

Last edited:
I was finally able to Sysprep successfully after believing the issue was another profile causing Sysprep to fail.

Previously I would log in as a random user THEN run Sysprep to reboot into "audit" mode, I'm assuming the other profile was causing the issue because once I selected CTRL+SHIFT+F3 at the "welcome" screen and went into audit mode before creating a profile it seemed to work.

At any rate it still has ignored some of my setting inside the Unattend.xml file, primarily the "UnattendJoin" and "ProductKey", below are the errors listed in the "setuperr.log" located inside "C:\Windows\Panther\UnattendGC".

Code:
2012-11-09 01:18:59, Error                        [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: Passing MachinePassword or setting UnsecureJoin requires: Domain, Username, and Password must be NULL
2012-11-09 01:18:59, Error                        [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: Failed to load all required input parameters, error occured processing [Domain]: 0x57
2012-11-09 01:18:59, Error                        [DJOIN.EXE] Unattended Join: Unable to join; gdwError = 0x57
2012-11-09 01:20:08, Error                        [msoobe.exe] Failed to install product key [hr=0xC004F050]

I think I may need to put the "username" in the "DOMAIN\USERNAME" format, so that might fix that, the "password" and "domain" are both correct in the xml file.

The big issue is the product activation, if I run "slmgr.vbs -dli" it does look like it used the key I entered into the xml file, "Partial Product Key" does list the last four digits but states the time remaining is 29 days? As a note I do have "SkipRearm" set to "1" and "SkipAutoActivation" set to "false".

Other items noted:

1. Date was off by one day.
2. Don't think by adding "*" in the "ComputerName" field it randomly generated a computer name.

Back
Top Bottom