Windows 10 "System Memory Dumps", Big?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

This morning when I talked to Alexa, I found that my router was offline so I reset it and booted up my computer.
After a few minutes it came back online.

So I ran CCleaner, something I do every morning, and I was surprised to see that there was a lot of stuff to be removed 8,232 MB total.
My first thought was new Windows update, though it doesn't usually try and deleted the Old Windows data without my specifying it.

But when I looked through the list of things to be removed I saw that almost all of the stuff to be removed were "System Memory Dumps" 2 files.
8,196,424 KB.

I'm only asking about this because I've never seen this before, anyone know why this huge amount of stuff all of a sudden?

Mike

Last edited:
Does your system have 8GB of ram? Also I would check your dump settings if it changed to full memory dump that would be why.

Hi

I have 32 Gigabytes of ram...

OK, I looked at CCleaner and the Memory Dump box is checked, I just updated to a new CCleaner and was messing around with it, so perhaps that's how it got checked.
I always just leave CCleaner at the default settings unless I'm removing the Windows.old file, I check that box manually to do that.

I ran the Analyse function, with and without the box checked and and that was the difference without the box checked I get the normal 232 megabytes to be removed.

I didn't complete the process, and remove the stuff yet.

So that's the next question, is there any reason that I shouldn't delete the Memory Dump, that's a lot of space on my SSD freed up?
Would I benefit from deleting the Memory Dumps periodically?

Mike

The memory dumps are primarily used in analysing problems. If tou're not experiencing and problems (eg BSD) then you can just delete them. I've got my Ccleaner set to delete them by default.

You don't really need the full dump file and the 256kb version won't take too much space:

Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Back
Top Bottom