Windows 10 System (Ntoskrnl.exe) Memory leak

JayLb

So while I did not receive any BSOD from it It's having some huge memory leaks with it spiking to almost 1GB of memory used while my brother is at a steady 0.1mb at all times. Wanted to know if there's any causes or solutions for it

I'm running:
CPU: AMD 6300 FX
GPU: Radeon R9 280x
4gb ram

In place upgrade from windows 8.1

thanks in advance on any information

For those of us who do not know how to check for memory leaks, could you explain exactly what numbers you are looking at for you info?

Are you running a 32 or 64 bit version of Windows? Laptop or Desktop since I am not familiar with the AMD video options?

I do not know how to formally look for memory leaks, but typically it is exemplified by a program that typically takes up a certain amount of memory, usually a low amount, but having that program grow in size over time, to amounts that seem outsized for what that program typically should be. His example of ntoskrnl.exe sitting at 1GB in RAM is a perfect one, as it should never get that large.

Currently, my system has it at 127MB, and that number has risen steadily with system use over the past few hours. Usually the only way to remedy it (other than a software update from the manufacturer), is to restart the affected process, or restart the system.

Windows 10 Home Premium, 64 bit version here. Running great otherwise.

I do not know how to formally look for memory leaks, but typically it is exemplified by a program that typically takes up a certain amount of memory, usually a low amount, but having that program grow in size over time, to amounts that seem outsized for what that program typically should be. His example of ntoskrnl.exe sitting at 1GB in RAM is a perfect one, as it should never get that large.

Currently, my system has it at 127MB, and that number has risen steadily with system use over the past few hours. Usually the only way to remedy it (other than a software update from the manufacturer), is to restart the affected process, or restart the system.

Windows 10 Home Premium, 64 bit version here. Running great otherwise.
Exactly! I'm currently using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, and everything else besides this is fine. The problem does seem to fix itself after a restart but comes back almost immediately after I open any programs at all, including those on startup. So might have to wait for a software update or call support I'm guessing?

I too am getting the ntoskrnl.exe memory leak. Mine is also roughly a gig of memory used:
8XmcL3l.png

Since I took this screencap a couple minutes ago, it has increased to 1,063 MB, and still climbing as far as I can tell.

My system:
  • Dell Inspiron 15r SE 7520 laptop
  • Manually upgraded with SSD
  • Upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64-bit from 8.1 64-bit
  • CPU: i7-3632QM
  • GPU (Switchable graphics): AMD Radeon HD 7730M
  • 8GB ram

Unlike most memory leaks I've run into, I can't just kill this task, I have to restart the whole system, so it's a particularly annoying variety of memory leak. Have any of you come upon a solution?

From what I've seen reading the testesr of windows 10, when there was a memory leak for those they had to release an update for a fix so we'll have to wait on Microsoft

Edit: I'm believing it to be Video memory that's leaking I can't be 100% sure but running a browser or Game seems to increase it the most.

Last edited:
I more background process like search (15%) updates (at least 10%) and of course Cortana can suck it up as well... the fact that you don't end in a blue screen makes a leak unlikly mate.

You can track performance and scan for errors using the built in tool;
[windows key] + [r] then type "perfmon.msc" (without quote)
Screenshot (100).png

run the two scans (takes a min each) by right click and 'start'... the reports section at the botton will be where they are placed when done.
Screenshot (109).png

These two scans will tell you EVERYTHING happening on your system from what memory clusters to warnings that your Windows updates are turned off... most of it is worthless but they each have a quick reference and can be saved for study over multiscans.

I noticed the same problem with ntoskrnl.exe today. Checked my drivers, malware etc. and everything is working fine. Also noticed that apps are using memory although not running. So after I ended task on some of the apps, system reduced from using memory from 140mb to 50mb. After some time apps were running again (I haven't opened them). So I found a potential practical solution. In settings-privacy-background apps you can disable those apps running in the background. Hope it helps!

Also, check out 3 Clever PowerShell Functions After Upgrading to Windows 10 on makeuseof!

Last edited:
I had the same problem, even reinstalled windows 10 completely, was going crazy. This fixed it for me yesterday, It may work. My ntoskrnl problem was using almost all of my CPU/RAM and making my laptop run constantly and really hot.
I have never posted a link in this forum before so it wont let me on the first post? Ill try to do it below. If not I will type it out.

(I ended up typing out instructions below, simple fix)

Last edited:
One of the more intriguing changes in Windows holds the potential to save you a ton of wasted download bandwidth: Its new peer-to-peer (P2P) delivery update mechanism. Using the P2P option, you could download a Windows update once, then use that machine to spread the update to all the PCs on your local network. Yay efficiency!

Unfortunately, the settings for the new P2P option default to sharing with other computers over the Internet, not just ones on your network, hasn't been enough testing to determine how Windows 10 handles its P2P uploads—and using a P2P cloud circumvents the issue of central Microsoft servers becoming overloaded—but the feature's easy to tweak or outright disable if you’d like. Here’s how.

First, open the Start Menu and select Settings, then click Updates & Security.

Make sure Windows Update is selected in the left-hand navigation pane (it’s the default when you open Updates & Security)

Then click on Advanced Options.

You’ll see a lot of options and checkboxes so click on Choose how updates are delivered.

Now you're on the page with the options that legislate how Windows 10 handles P2P updates. By default, Windows 10 will both send and receive updates from devices on your network and the Internet at large.

It’s the latter/default option that’s the potential data cap destroyer. Using the options on this page, you can opt to only allow P2P updates among machines on your local network, or disable them completely and rely on Microsoft’s servers alone—just like back in the day.

(Info I got from PC World)

Like I said it worked for me if your issue is the same, so it might help. good luck.

Back