Windows 10 BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe on a fairly new laptop!

SteveLee

Hello,

I recently replaced my old 5 year old laptop with a new one about a month ago.

Just this morning, I booted up my computer and experienced my first BSOD. I looked at the logs, and it showed that the BSOD was caused by the ntoskrnl.exe.

I've looked online, and the ntoskrnl.exe error is due to bad RAM, but the laptop itself is only 1 month old. I've also checked to see if any of my drivers were out of date and none of them were.

At this point, I have yet to complete a mem test to see if it's indeed the RAM that's bad, but I need some suggestions from the experts here on the forums to see if there are any other solutions to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments

• W7F_28-10-2017.zip
    794.3 KB · Views: 291
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck A, {7ffe16a552f0, 2, 0, fffff80052cf8588}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption
Hi Steve,
Bugcheck A can be caused by a number of things ranging from a newly installed driver, hardware or bios. AV suites can also produce this error as well as faulty system service.
To check on your installation run these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

This bugcheck can sometimes be associated with bad RAM but it can just as easily be a driver.

Run the Windows memory test:
How to Test Your Computer’s RAM for Problems

If you recently added anything new either software or hardware try removing it and see if the bsod stops.

If the above comes to nothing and the bsod continues then run the driver verifier.
Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista - Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support

This will test your drivers and see if any blue screen.

In order to run the verifer you will also need a recovery disk/USB.

This is just in case the verifier causes a blue screen loop on start up. If it does you can then use the recovery disk/usb to boot into the recovery console, enable safe mode and then turn the verifier off. Hopefully by that point the culprit will have been caught and written on the dump file.
Recovery drive

Please post any resulting dump files.

I did both the sfc scan as well as the restorehealth cleanup, but no errors were found.

Before I got the BSOD, I did download/install a new windows update and upgraded my integrated graphics card's driver. I could just do a system restore, but no restore points were created before that happened, so I'm stuck at this point in terms of restore points.

I will initiate the memory test and run the driver verifier on my off-day.

Thanks for the help.

I did both the sfc scan as well as the restorehealth cleanup, but no errors were found.

Before I got the BSOD, I did download/install a new windows update and upgraded my integrated graphics card's driver. I could just do a system restore, but no restore points were created before that happened, so I'm stuck at this point in terms of restore points.

I will initiate the memory test and run the driver verifier on my off-day.

Thanks for the help.
I did wonder if you upgraded the graphics.

Before you run the verifier and all that, try uninstalling the graphics driver using something called the DDU or Display Driver uninstaller . This is run in safe mode and cleans out anything left behind by previous installs.
Once you've done that boot back into windows and re-install the driver. See how you go although if you bsod continues then run the verifier ect.

Back