Windows 7 System Protection Settings

CraftyByte

Where are system protection settings stored on the system?

In windows XP, this was in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore

In Windows 7, this key exists, but the only values available are:
FirstRun (what is this?)
LastIndex (what is this?)
RPSessionInterval (set to 1)

In a subkey (cfg) I've found a value DiskPercent which is set to 15, but if I look at the properties trough the GUI, the DiskPercent value is set to 3%...
Another subkey (Setup_Last) mentions the value "Generalize_DisableSR" which is set to 0, but no matter if I enable or disable SR, this value remains 0...

Were is the "Restore Settings" stored? ("Restore system settings and previous versions of files", "Only restore previous versions of files" or "Turn off system protection"?

Also:
Is the RPGlobalInterval key still available/accessible?
Is the RPLifeInterval key still available/accessible, and what does it do?
Are the WMI classes (SystemRestore and SystemRestoreConfig) still available and working (I tried and got an empty value for RPGlobalInterval...)?

Thx in advance!

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,

The First Run entry is a little confising as a 1 usually indicates it has been run before
Last index is the last restore point you created
RPSessionInterval only keeps one restore point

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

You can set the interval time between the creation of SR points by manually editing the Registry. If you do use this method please make sure that you have backed up your Registry 1st:

Navigate to the following key to set the interval between scheduled SR points - this is regardless of whether an active session is in progress.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore (RPGlobalInterval)

double click RPGlobalInterval and change it's value. The default is 86400 Seconds (24 hours)

Navigate to the following key to set the interval between SR points when an active session is in progress:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore (RPSessionInterval)

double click on RPSessionInterval in the right hand pane and change the value - default is 0 seconds (disabled).

I know, this is default Windows XP behaviour.

In Windows 7, scheduled restore points are not made every day, but once every 7 days (according to microsoft).

The RPGlobalInterval and RPSessionInterval keys do not exist on a Windows 7 machine out-of-the-box.
When I try to read these values using WMI, I get an emty value (not 0, just empty string). When I write these values, the registry keys are created, but where is the default (7 days) stored?

System Restore in Windows 7 creates a scheduled restore point only if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days

The restore points are located here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\STORAGE\VolumeSnapshot\HarddiskVolumeSnapshot1

It is also listed in Task Manager under System Restore

I am interested in this topic also. The RPGlobalInterval doesn't exist on Win7 correct? If true, does creating it allow for daily restore points to be created? Please clarify this for me.

Thanks in advance!

The RPSessionInterval value does exist in Windows 7.

You'll need to create a new DWORD value, name it RPGlobalInterval and set it's value to 0.........disabled

In the Right hand pane of the registry Editor you should see a DWORD called RPGlobalinterval. If this DWORD doesn't exist then create one by right-clicking on the System Restore option and selecting New then DWORD from the drop down menu

The RPGlobalinterval default setting should be 86,400 seconds (24 Hours). To reduce this restore figure to say, every 12 hours, Right-click on the RPGlobalinterbval Option and, from the drop down menu, select Modify. In the Modify dialog box first change the Base to Decimal and then type 43200 or whatever period of time you want the restore point to be created in the Value Data box. Next click OK.

The session does not have to be active.

Thank you for the reply! Could you please explain the difference between and active and inactive session? Thanks.

Back