Windows 7 System Restore Extremely Slow Win 7 64bit

nanyl

I have had Win 7 64bit installed on my C: Partition which contains System Files and Program Files. Data is stored on Partition E:. The System has functioned perfectly untill straight after installing updates on 16/02/2012.I believe some of these updates were: KB2660465, KB2645640, KB2654428 and an Office 2007 Update.The Update Install procedure called for a System Restart which for unknown reasons booted to Safe Mode. I performed a Restart which booted correctly and I continued to work for the rest of the day. Next morning it booted to ChkDsk running, which apparently found and rewrote Orphaned Files. This activity caused me serious concern. I ran scans with MSE and MalwareBytes and both were clean.I decided to perform a System Restore back to 12/02/2012 which was a known good Restore Point, created by Critical Update. This Restore has now been running for four hours with the HDD Light blinking. This makes me believe that there is in fact something happening on the HDD, what I do not know.I am aware the System Restore must not be stopped once started.The Question now is: How much longer should I allow it to run?? or Should I kill it now???If I were to Kill It now, what would I then have to do???I have never known System Restore to take so long before. I see this as being abnormal.Can someone please help me with this as I do not want to destroy two months of installation work.

Welcome to the forums!

You asked this question on Microsoft but you asked it on the Windows XP forum. The suggestions were good for starters but were for XP. Here are the correct links for Windows 7.

Boot the computer using Last Known Good configuration:
Using Last Known Good Configuration

Perform Startup Repair and then check if this fixes the issue:
Fix Windows 7 using Startup Repair | 7 Tutorials
Startup Repair - Windows 7 Forums

After you get booted up, get back to us because it sounds like a hardware issue or a driver conflict. When you boot up, we can start investigating.

Welcome to the forums!

You asked this question on Microsoft but you asked it on the Windows XP forum. The suggestions were good for starters but were for XP. Here are the correct links for Windows 7.

Boot the computer using Last Known Good configuration:
Using Last Known Good Configuration

Perform Startup Repair and then check if this fixes the issue:
Fix Windows 7 using Startup Repair | 7 Tutorials
Startup Repair - Windows 7 Forums

After you get booted up, get back to us because it sounds like a hardware issue or a driver conflict. When you boot up, we can start investigating.

Hello, I ended up having to stop System Restore after about six hours running. I then found it would not boot. All methods of Start up Repair and Recovery failed to get a successful boot. I eventualy used my Acronis Disc to recover. I now do not have much confidence in System Restore and am not game to try it again. Since all of this, I have had a few instances of when rebooting, I get the Black Screen with 0xc00000e9 I/O Error and once again cannot boot. Today when this happened I disconnected all drives except the Main Drive. It booted OK. I then added the other drives, one at a time, and each time it booted OK. I tend to think that by the time I had readded them they had cooled down considerably. It was a 37Deg day, so HDD Temperature may be a problem. I am running with the side cover off at the moment. Heres hoping.

Back
Top Bottom