Windows 7 "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" BSOD from win32k.sys

Ninethe

Extraordinary Member
On the very first boot after completing a successful, error-free Repair Install, and after entering my username and password but before the desktop appeared, I received the following BSOD message:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

STOP: 0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF960000F3530, 0XFFFFF8800A954ED0, 0X000000000000000)

win32k.sys - Address FFFFF9600003530 base at FFFFF96000030000, DateStamp 53f7e75f

I saved the kernel dump (no mini-dump was created, even though I have that enabled) and the boot log, and uploaded them (see below).

Please NOTE that I cannot upload a mini-dump! Since I needed that computer to work, I've already wiped out the boot partition that produced the BSOD in question and have replaced with with an earlier cloned backup. Therefore it is impossible to reproduce the BSOD again. However, I still need this problem solved so that after I try another Repair Install, I won't have to worry about another SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD later...

I should also explain that the reason I performed the Repair Install in the first place was that I had been experiencing some weird behavior from a few pieces of third-party software for the last several months that their vendors were completely unable (or unwilling) to resolve, and SFC /SCANNOW never reported any errors, so in the end there was nothing left to try but a Repair Install.

(If it matters, here are some examples of the symptoms of weird behavior that no one was able to solve: A couple of apps (such as from DataViz) worked fine but eventually stopped accepting any data pasted from the clipboard; two different company's apps always failed installation attempts with "Unknown Error" messages; there were a few others as well.)

Before beginning the Repair Install, I disabled several non-hardware related third-party startup apps and services (such as antivirus and firewall, for example). As an aside, I wish I could find a list of services that must be running and those that should not be prior to a Repair Install, but I've never been able to locate any such info...

Also, note that after the Repair Install I could always boot fine into Safe Mode. I also ran disk check with automatic repair several times against the boot volume. Although the first pass reported some minor problems and repaired them, every subsequent pass reported no errors at all. Nevertheless, I still got the exact same BSOD every time I tried to perform a full normal boot into Windows.

Here are the uploaded files for you: Kernel Dump and Boot Log.zip

Finally, the BlueScreenView info was totally useless. All it did was show the same error message and details that I already quoted above.

If you'd like any other info I can provide, I'd be happy to do so.

Thanks!

System Info:

Computer type: PC/Desktop, Home-built
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
Memory: 16GB G.SKILL PC-2400
Graphics Card: EVGA nVidia GTX-750
PSU: Corsair RM850

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff960000f3530, fffff8800a954ed0, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!xxxCreateThreadInfo+bc0 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s
Hi,
the above dump file was caused by a memory error possibly caused by either a driver or hardware although as you can boot into safe mode then this is possibly driver or application related.
First please ensure your settings match these for dump file creation:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Looking through the dump file further I see gpscript.exe was the process running when the bsod occurred. This is to do with the Group policy script editor and can have an effect on start up programmes. Did you re-enable the start up apps and processes you disabled? If not I'd try doing so now.

avgntflt.sys Fri Jul 11 16:46:47 2014: Avira AV known on occasion to cause the odd issue. Please remove and use MSE as this is super stable. If you want another line of defense that won't or at least shouldn't conflict then use Malwarebytes alongside Defender:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/
MSE:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

ElbyCDFL.sys Thu Dec 14 21:22:27 2006: ElbyCDIO Filter Driver please update:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/support.html

SiRemFil.sys Wed Jun 20 20:42:10 2007: Silicon Image driver please update:
http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index.aspx

You can update all your drivers here:
http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z87A/HelpDesk_Download/

mv91xx.sys Thu Jun 07 04:10:27 2012: Marvell MV91xx AHCI/RAID driver. This driver is a mystery. Your motherboard specifications make no mention of any such Marvel storage solution as that is taken care of by Intel. Is this something you've installed? A SSD perhaps? Please advise... If your not using them then please remove (4 Marvell drivers in all)

AnyDVD.sys Thu Apr 24 22:13:59 2014: AnyDVD by SlySoft, Inc.. See note below
hfsplusrec.sys Mon Feb 17 10:59:00 2014: Paragon Software Group File System Recognizer....See note below regarding third party apps
PerfectGuard64.sys Tue Oct 22 10:09:47 2013: Driver updater?.. See note below
DCVP.sys Wed Apr 23 14:39:44 2008: This appears to be a SecurStar DriveCrypt drive... See note below

I would also be extremely suspicious of any third party software that's currently running on your computer and it may help if you removed anything third party and see if the bsod stops. If it does then add each app back one at a time and test by rebooting.

Post any new dump files

Back
Top Bottom