Windows 7 Task Manager can't end processes

When I read though the thread, it does not seem to be getting to a solution. Forgive me, but I have just run through and condensed the useful input, leaving out the general comment.

The OP, flores.uprm, stated that it happened a lot and the task manager "all too common" is commented.

The next posted comment is the reference to the bug, and a "fix" from Microsoft
.Fwiw, I can only see a initial reference to this problem, on Chrisnt123's page. The fix was referred to by Mary Foley and the same reference abounds throughout the web. Nowhere, have I seen the fix on Microsoft's own pages.

This was it:
Turn Off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program which can be done by traversing through the nodes. If anyone is confused here:
The easiest way to get to the "node" is to type, in the RUN, - Gpedit.msc. - Then follow the string suggested: - Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Internet Communication Management->Internet Communication settings When you get down to the line "Turn off Customer Experience Program", double click it and, in the new window, enable it.

“Microsoft deployed a configuration change which exposed this (installer) problem. New machines installing Windows 7 Beta will not experience this problem. An issue related to the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP also known as SQM) client in the Windows 7 Beta is causing crashes of Explorer, MSI-based installers and other applications. In order to resolve the issue, impacted customers need to run the following script from an elevated command prompt. This script will stop crashes related to CEIP and removes those changes (registry keys) to prevent further CEIP related crashes.
“Detailed instructions:
1. Select and copy the following to your clipboard:
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f
2. Click on “Start”, then “All Programs”, then “Accessories”
3. Right click on “Command Prompt”, then click on “Run as administrator”
4. In the UAC prompt, verify that the program’s name is “Windows Command Processor” and then click “Yes”
5. Right click on the “Administrator: Command Prompt” window’s black area, then select “Paste”
6. Press “Enter”, you should see “The operation completed successfully”.
If you see “ERROR: Access is denied”, please make sure you followed Step 3.
7. Close the “Administrator: Command Prompt window”

My own download was from a technet subscription. I have not received any official notification from MS about this bug.
However, I have Windows 7 installed on two machines. One is a 4 year old laptop. On the laptop I have deployed the fix. I have tried to simulate the faults, following this thread, on both machines, but am unable to crash anything ??
I am not denying that there is a problem, as many are experiencing it, but I do wonder if it is not related to a particular source of download?
In a follow up post, Flores mentions "after a recent update". I have only received two updates, directly related to the OS, although I have had quite a few concerning some Microsoft software I have installed. Neither of the two updates are in any way related to this problem.
Later Veritas comments on adjustments to the UAC, whichh seemingly did not change the situation.

There is very little information in the thread, concerning the where and how of the installations, and the hardware. I doubt the latter is the problem, though, unless an item of hadrware is stuffing the memory. The technet forum posters seem to think it is harware related, however.

My own old laptop is with an onboard Nvidia 7600 - not too brilliant. The CPU is 1.6 - not too brilliant! and it only has 2gbs memory. I have not experienced any hangs or other, since the original installation. Maybe of some importance, but I should say I am running as the global Administrator

My only ideas on the subject are.
1. Have the posters on this thread made a clean install or an upgrade over a legacy install? (Mine is always a clean install)
2. If you browse, you will find that some software is giving problems with Bsod's and hangs. Most widely read culprits are Norton and Power Archive.

P.S I have deleted the offensive posts, so that we can stay on track!

Last edited by a moderator:
The program crashes are often related to saving of data. I've seen this problem in Office 2003 when saving documents and in different games when saving settings or game progress.
The crash results in not being able to terminate the program and hanging up others as well, such as Windows Explorer. Also, when this happens I'm not able to restart the computer, but must switch the power.

Thanyou FireLite. That has been stated as the problem in previous posts.

Their is one tweak which I apply as standard. This could also help.

Open Regedit (WINDOWS KEY + R on your keyboard, or by clicking Start and typing on the search bar "regedit" without quotes.
Hit Enter
Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control] On the right panel look for the "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" string and change it value to 1000 by right clicking the string and selecting Modify...

Default Value WaitToKillServiceTimeout=20000

Modified value WaitToKillServiceTimeout=1000

Same issue

Just wanted to mention that I've been experiencing the same issue. Happens regularly (usually at least once a day). Same symptoms as described in earlier posts-- unable to terminate a process (Windows explorer is a very common culprit) and then unable to do a proper shutdown. I will try applying the steps mentioned by davehc and see if that helps anything.

Has anyone solved this issue?

I experienced the same problem with impromptu and excel. I was trying to save a file in impromptu while excel had the file open (locked). Both programs are now at a stand still and I am unable to kill either Process.

Setup:
Dell XPS Studio I7 920
Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 64 BIT

Security Software(I dont beleive this is the cuase but wanted to mention it):
Symantec EndPoint 11

Attempts to kill process that did not work:
pskill from sysinternals
end process in task manager
end process tree in task manager
Loaded task manager with "Run As Administrator"
taskkill.exe
Dtaskmanager

No error is thrown but the process remains running.

Impromptu 7 is a very unstable program in vista and windows 7 now so I expect it to crash but need to be able to easily recover from it.

Any1 have any additional insight?

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Run as admin

Have you tried running task manager as an administrator? Yes, thats right, it doesnt automatically run as admin:eek::p

Doh!

As stated in the thread above.... Yes i did try. I think its quite obvious that the build im using has a bug in the save file routine and does not handle locked files very well.

Also experiencing end process issues

Gday,
i'm also experiencing the same problem where a program freezes but the task manager only manages to close the window. The process is still running in the background as shown in the task manager. Someone suggested it might be a list updating problem however my computer will not shutdown with the frozen program still running. It shows a blank list of non-responsive programs and if i select force shutdown the computer freezes. This occurs roughly one every two starts.
The usual culprits are WMP, iTunes and Adobe Reader. I havent tried commands (because i'm not aware of the required code). Also wondering how one would run the Task Manager as an Administrator.
Be good to find a solution!
cheers

I provide additional tech info

I experience this problem almost always I run File-system benchmark in Sandra2009. The process RpcSandraSrv.exe hangs and eats 100% of 1 CPU core.

What is interesting is the call stack of the thread which eats 100% CPU. I used procexp tool to get this:

ntdll!NtfsControlFile+0xa
!!_RpcParseSecurity_0x65d
!_NdrStubCall2+0x2xe
!_NdrServerCall1+0x1d
_RpcBCacheAllocate+0x1b20d
_NdrComplexArrayMarshall+0x610

I believe this is problem of I/O handling inside the Windows. There are a lot of posting about this problem - since 2007, but no fix yet. Strange!!!

My OS: WebServer2008 x64
M/B: Gigabyte MA78GM-DS3H, AMD780G chipset, latest drivers for AMD SB700 SATA controller

I beleive this is quite serious issue because of nobody even confirmed that this is a problem in Microsoft product. Look at this - MVP commented this problem...
Can't kill some processes - Vista Forums

And the problem still in Windows7! I think the problem is AMD driver, but it is signed by "microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher". Does anybody know - will this problem be fixed or not? Does anyone experience this with Intel chipsets?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree,,,, Processor Type is important information

I am running Intel and have never had this problem in either Vista or 7.

Also, which build of the OS and where did you download it from is also valid.

Torrent downloads of an OS could be a problem, and not a windows problem.
I am not trying to get off course with this issue, but just trying to point out potentially valid reasons for the issues.

Also, using software you know is not stable on the OS in question, can and will cause adverse affects that are again, not a problem of windows itself. It all depends on how the program crashes and what other problems it is capable of creating during a crash. Win 7 is very good at keeping crashed processes from creating a hard lock on the system. However, it is still possible.

Unfortunately, Hard lock crashes can prevent anything from being written to the event viewer.

Also, if possible, and you do get a BSOD, post any Stop codes you see.

Last edited:
No BSODs. Win2008 is legal - I get DVD officialy. I checked my system by verifier.exe - I have only MS signed drivers.

I am programmer and I beleive - it does not matter whether the program is stable or not, the OS *must* be able to kill any *user* process. Looks like Vista can't end process having some pending IO. Tepid, do you confirm this issue also exists in Windows7, but it happens not so often?

Last edited:
This thread was started almost a year ago, but anyway:

Every time a program crashes (all too common), the task manager can't end it. Any ideas?

As it was mentioned in the thread, it is not unusual that it sometimes takes time for the Task Manager to end a process. (Task Manager does not allow to kill critical system processes, by the way).

There are other ways to terminate processes quicker than the Task Manager does.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Start => cmd :

Typing in the cmd tasklist will show you a list of running applications and tasks, with their PID's.

You can terminate a process by typing Link Removed due to 404 Error /im process.exe, or taskkill /pid number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TaskSwitchXP - Alt-Tab Replacement For XP - NTWind Software shows previews of your open windows and allows you to quickly, easily and for sure end the process of any open window:

tsxp_default.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Link Removed - Invalid URL can be easily used to kill a process with the

Link Removed - Invalid URL command, e.g.

Process, Close, process.exe

it does not matter whether the program is stable or not, the OS *must* be able to kill any *user* process. Looks like Vista can't end process having some pending IO. Tepid, do you confirm this issue also exists in Windows7, but it happens not so often?

I registered into this forum just to quote your reply:

"it does not matter whether the program is stable or not, the OS *must* be able to kill any *user* process"

Yours are golden words! I recently installed windows 7 ultimate 32bit and after 23 days of use I am giving up!
I will get back to windows XP professional as soon as I have a quiet free afternoon to work on it.

Being unable and powerless of killing a process under my user account is something so stressing I do not want to deal with any more!
This version of OS is not even able to kill "msnmsgr.exe" or any other execyutive file but "notepad.exe"

I registered into this forum just to quote your reply:

"it does not matter whether the program is stable or not, the OS *must* be able to kill any *user* process"

Yours are golden words! I recently installed windows 7 ultimate 32bit and after 23 days of use I am giving up!
Being unable and powerless of killing a process under my user account is something so stressing I do not want to deal with any more!
This version of OS is not even able to kill "msnmsgr.exe" or any other execyutive file but "notepad.exe"

+1 to all of the above. I installed recently win7 and I just had 4th crash in a week. Task manager is absolutely useless.

taskkill is more uselss as it says "success: the process has been terminated" but in tasklist the process is still there.

Even I cannot shutdown when such an application enters in freezemode. The only solution is forced shutdown from button.

I never had such problems in vista. Or if some similar situation appeared, it wasn't so obvious as now. I personally cannot accept from my OS to keep such behaviour. This is something i haven't seen since win98. bye bye win7!

Back