Windows 7 Temporary unresponsiveness after startup

The only other thing I might add is, open the services management console
type services.msc into the search box and hit enter
scroll down to IP Helper and double click it
set the startup type to manual and reboot
see if that helps at all.

Nope. Thanks anyway.

You can also manage your services from CCleaner.
There are a lot of things that start that are not necessary though nothing like as many as in XP.

I have about half of mine turned off.

Mike

I think it might be good to point out that I still get this lag even after putting the laptop in sleep mode and logging back on. From powering it back up from sleep, everything is instantaneous, as far as logging on goes - then after a few seconds of being back on the desktop the lag kicks in for a few minutes, then everything is ship shape. Maybe it's not down to startup at all?

You can also manage your services from CCleaner.
There are a lot of things that start that are not necessary though nothing like as many as in XP.

I have about half of mine turned off.

Mike

I tried it out, but as far as handling the services CCleaner could only show me the things I've already had turned off (the non-windows processes):

w6z3hx.jpg

Likewise I too have been experiencing this issue. I've seen this happen even after performing clean OS installs, latest drivers, latest BIOS, latest updates, etc. Very annoying. Was going to linux until I kept having problems attaching my network printer. Seriously though, this is getting really annoying.

Sorry I didn't mean Services, I meant things that load at startup.
About half of them aren't necessary on my computer, so I just turn them off, but I don't remove them.

I will admit that there are a lot less of them in Windows 7 then there were in Xp.

I see that you have a lot less of them then I do.

It's interesting that I don't see entries for your sound and video, keyboard, and mouse.
Those are always visible on my computer.

Last edited:
I'd still be highly tempted to disable the Windows Update Service (Services.msc) for a while to see if that makes a difference.

I'd still be highly tempted to disable the Windows Update Service (Services.msc) for a while to see if that makes a difference.

Ehh, that's extremely light on resources and wouldn't cause any issues at all. Besides that, by default, it's already set to delayed startup.

I've already changed Windows Update to manual.

As I said, it still occurs after awakening the computer from sleep mode, which may mean it's nothing to do with startup processes.

I'm also unable to perform a successful System Restore. When shutting down, SR runs and I get the message "System Restore is complete." after it's done it's loading, and then on booting back up to the desktop I get an error message saying it couldn't transfer a file (not always the same one).

I'm all out of ideas. I've tried a repair disk and the only thing I can think of is disabling Windows processes, and I don't much like the idea of that.

Well I've cracked it! It was in the services (see the original starting post, now edited).

I'm not out of the woods yet. Does anyone have a list of critically advised services for an operational Windows? I've enabled Themes, Desktop Management and Networking so far, but I'm still lacking things like troubleshooting and System Restore. Is there a list of processes I should enable without all the crap?

I haven't tried this after disabling the services, but System Restore seems to be at fault. As mentioned in an earlier post: "When shutting down, SR runs and I get the message "System Restore is complete." after it's done it's loading, and then on booting back up to the desktop I get an error message saying it couldn't transfer a file (not always the same one)."

Concentrate on 3rd party services and not Microsoft ones. VMWare particularly comes to mind here, if you have that.

Concentrate on 3rd party services and not Microsoft ones. VMWare particularly comes to mind here, if you have that.

Do you mean to identify which one was causing the problem? If so, the problem still occurred after disabling all non-windows services. The problem was with a windows service.

Wow, really? Then I'd suspect your antivirus playing a role or something else affecting the Windows services. They are perfect on their own.

I would definitely disable the Windows Search service. That does cause freezes but that is normal, expected operation at times. Not defective.

You can remove whichever antivirus you have in safe mode with this tool:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Then reboot and see how it goes. If good, replace with MSE. If not, re-install your original A/V if you want. (Norton and AVG are notorious.)

You can also have a look at BlackViper's site which is well respected amongst the community:

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

Scroll down and you'll see.

Last edited:
I've stated in response to your advice earlier in the thread that my Antivirus already is MSE, and it's turned off.

The Windows Search service is enabled and has given me no problems, I personally find it quite useful since it means I don't have to hotlink the 'RUN' command!

After looking through the Windows services there was a LOT that I didn't need and were pretty useless. I just have to kind of filter out the ones I need.

Edit: Ohhh, That BlackViper list looks useful, thanks!

The Windows Search service is enabled and has given me no problems, I personally find it quite useful since it means I don't have to hotlink the 'RUN' command!

Have you tested a reboot while this was disabled though, for troubleshooting purposes, anyhow?

You're welcome. Good luck.

Here is how I configure all of my machines and never have the slightest issue to speak of. Perhaps you can use it as a guide to see what I have disabled.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 382
Hi

Go to Black Viper's website and check out the setting for Windows 7.
This is the main site for tweaking Windows settings.

Black Viper's Web Site

I've used it for years.

Just print out the services configuration for your version of Windows and sit down and work your way through them.

Everything is clearly explained.

Mike

Back