Windows 7 Test Windows 7 and FAT32 -- no-go you need NTFS

jimbo45

Hi guys
just tested trying to install W7 on a FAT disk -- no-go it appears it will only install on NTFS although it can read / write FAT32 disks (and FAT 16 if you still have them --maybe some SD cards etc).

There's no reason anymore to use FAT32 anyway - even LINUX can read / write NTFS as I've posted elsewhere on this forum so if you are attempting to load windows 7 on an external USB drive convert it to NTFS first.

Cheers
jimbo

I've been running into tons of problems with my ipod (b&w clickwheel) and my friends ipod nano (color ... fairly new) because they mount as fat32.

Also I have a jump drive that has a bootable linux on it... that won't mount either (or it attempts to... and stops working) that has to be formatted for fat32 for it to work.

I'm going to call microsoft support tonight

Hi guys
just tested trying to install W7 on a FAT disk -- no-go it appears it will only install on NTFS although it can read / write FAT32 disks (and FAT 16 if you still have them --maybe some SD cards etc).

There's no reason anymore to use FAT32 anyway - even LINUX can read / write NTFS as I've posted elsewhere on this forum so if you are attempting to load windows 7 on an external USB drive convert it to NTFS first.

Cheers
jimbo

Hi guys

Cheers
jimbo

wow it would be interesting to do that with windows 7when i will be rich enough to get a 32 GB flash drive .. or at least 16 gb ..

i've already done that with linux though ..

anyways , if you install windows on the usb drive and attempt to boot from it in another computer ... ufff.

I don't think it's so much that Windows 7 can't run on FAT partitions, but rather that it won't allow you to because of the differences between FAT and NTFS.

Or perhaps windows has some super bigger than 4GB in it's installation that we don't know about and therefore it cannot install properly ??

Back
Top Bottom