Windows 7 The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot

paul kuriak

I have been running my window 7 laptop for a few months with no problems then one day I switched it on and to restore to factory settings , got this message............. The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed To install Windows, click ok to restart the computer, and then restart installation..................... I have tried tapping the F8 button and cannot start it in safe mode either. I do have 5 disk for Windows.it doesn't work . I did do a system restore but didn't back up properly ( I'm not that great I know) Please help. Many thanks in advance.

Are you re-imaging or reinstalling Windows 8 (8.1...)?

There is no Safemode in Windows 8.1/8.

EDIT: We are in the Windows 8 Forum.

Just to be sure -- are you running Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1?

Hi

What brand of computer do you have, not all computers start the reset process by pushing F8.

If you can't complete the reset, you can make a bootable DVD or USB stick and reinstall Windows from scratch.

You can download the Windows 7 install files from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

You will need your product key to do this.

These used to be available from Digital Rivers but apparently that's no longer true.

Once you have it boot your computer from the disk or USB stick and follow the instructions.

Mike

Hi

Sorry I'm kind of late getting back here, I didn't get a notice that you had posted.

I'm guessing you have gotten this solved by now but this is how to factory reset a Gateway laptop.

1. Reboot, and press F11 or the R key to start the recovery process (keep tapping the key from the start of boot up).

2. Select either "Full System Restore (Destructive ***This will erase all your unsaved data!***)" or "Full System Restore (With Backup)"*.

3. Click "Next", and then click "Yes" to confirm the recovery process.

4.Wait for the computer to restore itself.

When it is done, click "Reboot" to reboot the computer.

I have to say these are the clearest instructions I found and there were others that gave different ways of starting the process.
I couldn't find this info on the Gateway website all my searches came back to "How to reset my Android tablet".

Mike

Back
Top Bottom