Windows 7 There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection Adapter.

Speeker

I recently installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 on my computer and am now having a problem with my internet connectivity. When I run the Windows 7 Troubleshooter I get the message that says that 'There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection Adapter'. I have attempted many things to fix this.

I have uninstalled the drivers for the Network Adapter and that didn't fix it

I have run sfc/scannow and that didnt fix it

I tried ipconfig /dnsflush that didnt work

I cannot use ipconfig /renew and /release because it is not connected to the internet.

System restore will not work because there are no restore points.

I uninstalled Kaspersky and disabled Windows firewall hoping it might be a firewall issue.

I installed a USB wireless network adapter which changed the message from 'Local Area Connection Adapter to 'Wireless Area Connection adapter'.

Please help, I do not want to reinstall windows. If anyone has any advice that can help please let me know.

Instead of re-installing, could you not do a repair install?

Course, you need a disc for that!

If we could let's concentrate on the wired adapter and remove the addon wireless usb adapter from the machine and the diagnostic equation. Please provide some specifics regarding the wired adapter. Manufactuer name, model name, model number and Rev. Number.
Type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter.
Right click the wired adapter (Local Area Connection) and choose properties.
Select the "Configure" Button and then the "Details" tab.
Select the drop down arrow and change "Device descritption" to "Hardware Ids"
Right click in the "Value" box and choose select all
Right click again and choose copy
Paste that information into your next post.
And by the way greetings and welcome to the Forum
Randy

Here is what is shown when do that

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_01
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_E0001458
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_0200

Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC.
Go here Realtek and down load this-> Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver7.0342010/12/22
Use device manager to force a driver update.
Expand network adapters, right click the problem adapter and choose update driver software, then Browse my computer, then Let me Pick, then have disk, then browse, browse to the folder where you downloaded and extracted (if necessary) the driver noted above.
If that dosen't help try this
type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter
right click your adapter and choose properties
click the configure button
choose the advanced tab
look for something called speed and duplex (may be worded slightly differently)
select it then in the right column select the drop down arrow and choose 10Mbps/Half
OK your way back out of there and reboot
If that seems to work for you then start experimenting with different settings, because your card/driver is having a problem auto negotiating link speed and duplex settings with your router.
Ideally a setting of 1000 full (never half with Gig Ethernet) is what you would want, so change to 100 half and reboot, then 100 full and reboot, etc.
Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Alright I tried both of the suggestions and neither worked. Nothing improved the situation :(.

Btw thanks for the help hopefully we can figure this out.

Sorry for the delay, things have been a bit hectic.
Try resetting both the IP stack as well as the Winsock catalog.
Elevated command prompt type
netsh int ip reset C:\ipreset.txt
then
netsh winsock reset
reboot
copy and paste the results of an ipconfig /all into your next post.
Again apologies for the late response.
Randy

I've got the same problem here, except it's with a wireless driver. I am connected with an Ethernet cable now, but this is really a mess. I have an Asus N55SL and my wireless adapter is an integrated Intel Centrino Wireless N-100.
I have a tried everything too: installing, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, going back on restore points didn't do anything, and it's not the AVG network filter problem like some, as it never appeared in the driver/connection properties. It just happened completely out of nowhere! And it's the second time it does, but unlike last time, which it just fixed itself overnight, it did not this time. I really, really do not want to re-install Windows again, please help.

Last edited:
Back