Windows 10 Throttled internet help

LT72884

Ok, so im having a very intereating issue with my win 10 laptop, again, haha. No matter what wifi i connect to, i can only download at about 24.1 KBps but any other device can hit the normal rate.

I have tried multiple differnt files on the laptop and dame issue. I think i either have a bug or something is wrong hardware wise. I have tried 3 antennas and same issue. Two types of usb wife antennas that i have trsted in other machines and the onboard wifi, same issue. I have even tried different usb ports. I have checked to see if putting a diff metric number changed anything(doubt it) or maybe i hit some setting to throttle the wifi

Thanks for the help.
63770d85a46ceb7f7fe6e4076b6affe8.jpg

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Are there any yellow triangles with exclamation mark on them in Device Manager?

Does it happen even when you use other web browsers?

Is the latest available driver for your wireless card installed?

Some items that can cause this
  • Buggy wireless driver
  • Poor signal to wireless router
  • Interference from some other device on wireless
  • Faulty hardware (wireless card or router)
  • Malware
  • Operating System corruption
  • Security software (packet shapers, and QOS)
  • Hyper-V VMQ
  1. For the first item check the manufacturer site and make sure you have the latest drivers installed
  2. Make sure you the signal is good (if you have a phone you can use something like Wifi Analyzer to check the signal quality) -30db to -70db is a good range
  3. Wi Fi Analyzer should at least be able to show you if there are a lot of overlapping networks
  4. Try another device like a phone if it gets a good connection the router is good or try another adapter on the laptop (I think you already did this) the adapter is probably ok then
  5. Run malware scans or boot to safe mode w/networking (if it runs fine you either have malware or security software interfering)
  6. You can run chkdsk /R and sfc /scannow to check and fix some corruption
  7. Temporarily disable any security software and test
  8. If you don't know what this is then don't worry about it, but if you have Hyper-V installed the vswitch QOS can mess up your network connection and cause it to crawl

I will check device manager.

Yes it happens with all browsers and it started a few days back but i have not installed anything new...... wait. Windows updated just the other day. Hmm i wonder if it did this.

I am about 10 feet from router at my house, work and school. Odd thing is, download is 24.1kbps but upload is 10MBps. I uploaded a 1gb file to my onedrive and google drive in about 1 minute. Youtube plays normal, as far as i can tell, some webpages load slower but not like if i was on dial up.

I ran a malware test and still no go.

1. For the first item check the manufacturer site and make sure you have the latest drivers installed.
    Done and Done, still same issue
  2. Make sure you the signal is good (if you have a phone you can use something like Wifi Analyzer to check the signal quality) -30db to -70db is a good range.
    Used my wifi hotspot and two other analyzers. My laptop is in best spot possible. Pc works fine here as well as my tablet and phone.
  3. Wi Fi Analyzer should at least be able to show you if there are a lot of overlapping networks
    not alot of overlapping networks and i have lived here for 1.5 years. no changes to the environment. It just started happening a few days ago.
  4. Try another device like a phone if it gets a good connection the router is good or try another adapter on the laptop (I think you already did this) the adapter is probably ok then
    I tried 3 adaptors and same issue.
  5. Run malware scans or boot to safe mode w/networking (if it runs fine you either have malware or security software interfering)
    Have not done this. i will do this now and report back. It started happening after that large win10 update that was pushed a few days back
  6. You can run chkdsk /R and sfc /scannow to check and fix some corruption. Same issue after chkdsk
  7. Temporarily disable any security software and test
  8. If you don't know what this is then don't worry about it, but if you have Hyper-V installed the vswitch QOS can mess up your network connection and cause it to crawl. i know what this is, and i do not have it on this machine at the moment.
I do not know why my upload works great on ANY connection. its only the download that is affected. However, i ran a speedtest via this link:

and my tests are excelent including both up and down.

this is so odd. going to try safe mode now.

thanks

Ok, tried safe mode and since i cant use wifi on safemode for networking even after starting wlan service, and trying to enable wifi in device manger, i finally restarted back into refular windows. Used ethernet instead and it downloads fine. I tried the antennas again in all usb ports and it caps at 35.1KBps.

I know the usb ports work because i use them with other atuff as well. Oh and mere fact that upload is amazing, just download sucks

Thanks.

Any ideas?

Please check Device Manager and let me know if there are yellow triangles with exclamation marks or question marks displayed.

I understand from your previous messages that you have tried 3 different usb wireless adaptors and your computer has an internal wireless card as well.
Is that correct?

Last edited:
It's also possible the sites you're downloading from throttle connections.

It's also possible the sites you're downloading from throttle connections.
I thought the same thing until i tried files i have downloaded before. Right now, slic3r is at 13.2kbps, BUT a speed test states i have a 17.9Mbitps connection at the moment. Even with a 5Mbitps connection, i download at a steady 1.2MByteps. I just tested the other PC in the other room and it downloads at steady 1.2Mbytesps and speedtesat states it has a 5.4Mbitps connection. It downloaded slic3r in less than a minute

I called microsoft last night and they had me download a 3gb over the 56k connection(took forever!!) and install it. I htink it was a small version of windows. Funny thing is, i tried this morning and things worked just fine and seemed fixed. Now, its all screwed up again. Nothing has changed environmentally.

I just played this file with no issues. youtubes and other sites load just fine. But no matter WHAt i download, its below 56k. I tried my normal stuff from thingverse, solidworks, sketchup, etc etc and all have slow download speeds

i wish i could try and download the package from a non throttled site via cmd or another utility besides a browser just to see if the browser has been messed up.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Back